How to remove smaller nails on carpet tack board

Old 07-20-08, 01:52 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to remove smaller nails on carpet tack board

I am trying to remove the tack board that is 40 yrs. old. My cats paw is working wonders BUT some of the nails, esp. these smaller ones that are there in addition to the larger nails, the head of the nails break off sometimes and how to I deal with that? I am hoping to put down vinyl plank boards and the baseboards won't cover these nail heads. any newer tools to help me?

Old 07-20-08, 02:03 PM
I have good luck with Nippers

like these
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-14D-14...6584094&sr=1-4

(I have a half dozen or so Ive picked up for a dollar or two at flea markets/garage sale)

Old 07-20-08, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
How bout just smackin them flush?

Old 07-20-08, 03:07 PM
P
Smile Nail issue

You know, I think that is the best solution for now, I will give it a try. this is my first effort with concrete and nails. Plus after I smack them down, maybe I should put some of the concrete patch over them?

thanks for your quick response!:

Old 07-20-08, 03:14 PM
P
Smacking the nails does not work

These nails can't be smacked down nor even pounded to the side. I have a pair of the Nippers and while they grip well, I don't have the body strength to pull them up and out. They won't budge! Now what do I do? I absolutely can't put vinyl down until those spikes are done with.

Old 07-20-08, 05:37 PM
G
How about cutting them with bolt cutters and then flushing them with a file.

Old 07-20-08, 05:42 PM
you don't "pull them " out with nippers , you grip low and roll them out let the tool do the work

Ive been looking for a good excuse to buy one of these they might work for you

http://www.nailextractor.com/

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest

Old 07-20-08, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Bigger hammer required..... like a 2 lb ballpeen, regular 16 oz claw won't cut it..but if thats not an option, and you want a smooth surface...

Use an angle grinder and cut them flush, then a bit of leveling compound in each recess.

Old 07-20-08, 09:59 PM
P
Embedded nails in concrete

Well after working at it all day, I am proud to say that I no longer have any nails in the concrete hall. I tried pounding but to no avail. so i hit them sideways with the hammer and some of them flew out and others required me to hit them back and forth with the hammer and then use the grippers to work them loose. On the mean 5, I had to chisel around the nail and then use the cat paw. all day but its done. thanks for the quick responses and great ideas. Now I need to figure out which brand of vinyl planking to put down. that seems to be harder than the nails.

Old 07-21-08, 01:20 PM
P
squeaky floor board now

Well, all of the tack nails are out. Took 2 days. Hitting the nails sideways popped them out.

Now, the board (4Xsomething) that lies between the concrete living room floor and the concrete hall way(under the door frame) has squeaked for years. Now that the board is exposed due to me removing carpet etc. I was wondering what I could do to stop the squeak? While I am renting, I can't tear the place apart that replace the wood piece, but maybe adding more nails to make it move less? And if so, what type of nails? What is under this wood? concrete or just wood?
thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: