Pros and cons of carpet tiles?

Old 08-12-08, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pros and cons of carpet tiles?

I need to carpet both my bedrooms and have been researching price, installation, fibers, weights, etc. There are horrible reviews out there for every conceivable point of purchase! Kinda makes you want to do it yourself, but since I have extremely serious doubts about installing it myself, I'm now considering carpet tiles. How do these look once installed? Do they look like one piece or do they look like a checkerboard? I'd like to hear from anyone who has installed these and what they wished they'd done differently.

Also, I'm putting them on a concrete floor. Any special prep required? Do the tiles have cushioning to them? Should I use a padding underneath - or is that even possible?

Just like everyone else, the economy has me in a bind so price is an important issue, but I also want a good quality product!

I'm open for suggestions!!

Old 08-13-08, 01:47 AM
over concrete you would want to seal it prior...i have never seen them used with padding...i would think, but i may be wrong, that when you walk on it on top of padding...if you sink around edges

if you do a good tight install and get good adhesive with the glue...it looks like one piece..bad thing is i have only seen the glue down ones...once you do that..if you ever go to a tack strip style carpet..you will have a glue mess on you hands

Old 08-13-08, 08:18 AM
S
Carpet tiles were a great invention, but not all carpet tiles are created equal. With some, the seams will never go away, while others do. I've worked with the ones that blend well and the ones that don't. All, however, are simple to install. There are several advantages to carpet tiles. They are easy to install so the home owner can eliminate the labor expense. You can get them with a bit of a cushioned back, but I don't recommend it. If issues with your floor ever develop, you don't have to replace the entire floor, just the effected tiles. If you ever need to do anything to the subfloor, you can pull them up, do the work, and put the same ones back down. They wear very well. Carpet tiles, as with rolled goods, have a directional sweep to them. If you lay them with this sweep all going the same direction, the seams are more likely to go away. I have observed that, given time and traffic, they will normally blend in after a while. As to glue, that is another advantage to them. I have used three different installation methods, all of which work. First is the standard full spread method where the entire floor is covered with adhesive. With carpet tiles, this is pretty unnecessary, but it's tough to get many customers to understand this so we just glue the whole thing. Second is to just glue every other seam. This helps keep the tiles from sliding around and yet avoids a lot of glue. Third is to skip the glue entirely and just loose lay them. I did a library a few years back and the librarian had severe allergies and didn't want any glue so we did the job with out adhesive. It has lasted several years and still looks good today. Were I to use carpet tiles in my own home, I'd skip the glue. If you decide to go with carpet tiles and decide to glue them, use an adhesive called "preasure sensitive". It's pricey, but stays sticky forever, allowing you to pull them up if need be and then lay them right back in the old glue and it will hold, provided it doesn't get contaminated with sawdust or something like that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: