choosing a carpet, how important is density?

Old 08-18-08, 02:29 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
choosing a carpet, how important is density?

I have a choice between 4600 density, 90 ounce, PET polyester at $3.00 sq ft and 3600 density 70 ounce stainmaster nylon at 5.00 sq ft. No kids or pets, two adults, little traffic, about 700 sq ft to carpet.

What is your recomendation gurus? I've heard you say nylon over and over, but I've also heard that density is the most important factor.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-18-08, 07:18 PM
C
i just had 60 oz installed, with 1/2 pad. i would not want less and it is very nice.

Old 08-19-08, 01:49 AM
polyester and olefin are cheaper..but even very dense carpets of these fibers will not hold fiber retention as nylon would....poly and olefin are harder to stain thou

nylon holds retention better but can be stained

it all depends on how long you tend to be there...polyester will start showing wear within 6 months or so

Old 08-19-08, 10:47 AM
R
Thanks docduck for the quick reply. Aren't these forums great.
We plan to be there for 15 years or more. It looks like the nylon for us. In this case the higher density of the poly doesn't make up for the higher resilence of the nylon.
In fact we figure that with the high face weight and height of the poly it would be even more prone to matting down.
Have to say that Home Depot on Halsted, did a good job with giving info on density and face weight as opposed to other places in Chicago, such as Empire and Olsen. Everything was listed on the back of the carpets. Let's hope the install goes ok.

Old 08-19-08, 11:28 PM
im glad that someone had some good info for you up there...most of the time some places will push whatever carpet they need to get rid of most of the time

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: