Will carpet shrink if rolled up and stored?

Old 09-06-08, 12:44 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will carpet shrink if rolled up and stored?

I'm not talking about extra carpet that hasn't been installed, I mean if I pull up carpet that's been in a room for a few years and roll it up and store it in a cool, dry place will it still shrink and be unable to be reinstalled?

I just moved into a rented home and hate the powder blue carpet on the floors. I've checked and the Living/dining rooms appear to have beautiful wood floors below. But since I have to reinstall the carpet when I move out -- and that could be as much as three or four years -- I don't want to wind up footing the bill for new if what I pulled up has shrunk.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

CJ

Old 09-06-08, 02:33 PM
as long as it is stored in a cool dry place you should be good. you might want to wrap it in plastic to keep out bugs, though.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 09-06-08, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Just remember, you'll have all the tack strips to pull up and replace later. And you can probably write off any padding it has, plan on new. Holes from tack strip nails and padding staples may be unsightly. Also, if you do it, I'd get the carpets cleaned if they haven't been, let them dry for a week or so before removing.

And, I think it probably will need to be restretched when its time to put it back in. So basically yer back to a total re-install cost, except the carpet itself.

Here's the other question, what if the owner or property manager needs access for some reason, (repairs, paperwork, whatever) do you think they might have a problem?

Old 09-07-08, 09:17 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You have to get approval from the landlord in advance for this.

Old 09-18-08, 11:34 AM
C
Thanks!

Thanks for your replies.

I would never do something like this w/out the owner's permission.

Best,

CJ

Old 09-19-08, 07:31 AM
C
if it does shrink, i would think it wouldn't be a problem when stretching it back in.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: