Transition question - carpet higher than laminate edge

Old 09-07-08, 07:43 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Transition question - carpet higher than laminate edge

Hi, we had preexisting good quality carpet and pad installed already. Then, we decided to do new laminate flooring (DuPont) partway into the already carpeted room. So, we cut the carpet (left extra overlap), pulled back temporarily and installed the laminate over the plywood floor. Right now, we just have an extra few inches of carpet/pad overlapping the tile and laying there ready for final install. The problem is that the laminate height is about 3/8" off the plywood but the carpet is probably a tad over 1" high (if uncompressed) with thick (with hard to compress pad) and high quality dense pile carpet. How do I transition from this 3/8" laminate to this higher (by maybe 3/4" or so) carpet and pad? I have the 4-in 1 kit by Faust with plastic click strip but I think my heights are going to be way off. The carpet is now just floating at the transition (there's no tack strip there yet cause this is a new seam due to new laminate ending point). Should I install tack strip..and then what? Is this a DIY job or do I need a pro carpet installer with a kicker and all that jazz? I thought about renting a carpet kicker but I've never done that job and don't know where to cut the carpet to do it right. The main problem though, I'm pretty sure is the height difference. Please help..I'm not sure the right fix here. Not even sure a pro will come out to do this small job. Can anyone get this DIY guy that's never done carpet work through this...

Old 10-06-08, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by larned44 View Post
Hi, we had preexisting good quality carpet and pad installed already. Then, we decided to do new laminate flooring (DuPont) partway into the already carpeted room. So, we cut the carpet (left extra overlap), pulled back temporarily and installed the laminate over the plywood floor. Right now, we just have an extra few inches of carpet/pad overlapping the tile and laying there ready for final install. The problem is that the laminate height is about 3/8" off the plywood but the carpet is probably a tad over 1" high (if uncompressed) with thick (with hard to compress pad) and high quality dense pile carpet. How do I transition from this 3/8" laminate to this higher (by maybe 3/4" or so) carpet and pad? I have the 4-in 1 kit by Faust with plastic click strip but I think my heights are going to be way off. The carpet is now just floating at the transition (there's no tack strip there yet cause this is a new seam due to new laminate ending point). Should I install tack strip..and then what? Is this a DIY job or do I need a pro carpet installer with a kicker and all that jazz? I thought about renting a carpet kicker but I've never done that job and don't know where to cut the carpet to do it right. The main problem though, I'm pretty sure is the height difference. Please help..I'm not sure the right fix here. Not even sure a pro will come out to do this small job. Can anyone get this DIY guy that's never done carpet work through this...
Hi,
It's probably best to get an export to do this but you can do it if you really have to.
First thing, you won't be able to flush or even out the transition unless you do some major sub-flooring job. Your best bet is to purchase some metal and tack strip from "Home Depot" or any other local carpet supply store. I'm assuming this is one strait shot.

Then watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj7V8T6-iMM

hope this helps. Good luck!

Old 10-06-08, 09:23 PM
A
Larned44,

When transitioning from carpet to wood or laminate, the carpet falls where it falls. If you have tall carpet, that's fine.

When it comes the actual transition piece you will use your end cap molding like you said you have. DO NOT use a metal transition for the carpet to meet the laminate molding! You just spent money trying improve the look of your house and using a metal transition is like giving a ferrari penstripes with a can of Krylon.

The tackstrip should be placed no farther than 3/8" from the molding and the carpet be tucked into the gully you created. Helpful tips would be: Glue your transition into place so it doesn't move or pop off. Use a latex adhesive in the gully so your carpet doesn't kick out from being walked on. You have to have a knee kicker to do this if it's a doorway. You have to have a powerstretcher to complete this if you just split a living room-dining room, or large area.

And the biggest tip: Find a carpet installer and have this done. I'm all for DIY and enjoy passing on correct installation practices. But this is a finishing touch that makes or breaks the overall appearance. The video you watched was great and made it look super easy. But The carpet was precut - yours isn't- and he was installing into a metal that shouldn't be used in your situation.

Please ask if you need more info.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: