Area rug problem with fuzz

Old 09-08-08, 09:57 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Area rug problem with fuzz

Hello,

New here, and quite frankly, I know nothing about area rugs. My wife and I were given an area rug that my father got in Iraq when he was there - I know nothing of the materials used to make it, estimated value, etc.

We tried using it, and after a short time (1 yr or so), the area rug developed little fuzz balls on it that are attached to the rug (not loose). My wife has tried using a straight razor (extremely time consuming as the rug is about3ish feet by 8ish feet), and she has tried a fuzz ball shaver that you would use on a sweater... both sort of work, but it takes forever. We have stopped using the rug until we figure out what causes this (is it normal?), and how to fix it.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I was going to attach photos of the fuzzes, and the rug's tag but apparently I am not able to add attachments yet. The tag basically says Hustun Textile, Sahara Super Double Shuttle Carpet 100x300.

Thanks in advance!

Keith

Old 09-13-08, 02:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What does the label say that the fibers are in the rug? Some types of fibers are more prone to pilling than others. Using beater bars can also cause pilling.

If the rug is wool, you may find some tips here: http://www.aspencarpetdesigns.com/care.htm

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: