Bedroom carpet, quality, by who?

Old 09-15-08, 04:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bedroom carpet, quality, by who?

I need a new carpet/rug in my Bedroom .

I want plush and a brand name that is reliable!
I am not interested in "Abdul's best of the best", you know the brands that promise you everything, but deliver nothing but trouble! I have been there, seen it , and done it!!

What is the best brand/manufacturer to pursue for a good product and a great price?

This is a simple question that I suppose some nut is going to try and tell me that all major brands are absolutely awesome for my intended purpose.

The ones who want to answer this way just please don't! Like everything else in life, somebody is the "BEST", who is it?

Changeling

Old 09-16-08, 01:48 AM
I would suggest checking out the carpet-rug institute web sites Loads of good information there.

There is a fine line between "good price" and good quality.

When choosing a carpet look at the traffic rating..scale 5-1

this indicates the appearance change due to time and traffic 5 being no change...to 1 being junk basicly..

Nylon would be the way to go. Making sure it is power stretched during install is the only way to go.

Old 09-16-08, 03:03 PM
C
Originally Posted by Docduck View Post
I would suggest checking out the carpet-rug institute web sites Loads of good information there.

There is a fine line between "good price" and good quality.

When choosing a carpet look at the traffic rating..scale 5-1

this indicates the appearance change due to time and traffic 5 being no change...to 1 being junk basicly..

Nylon would be the way to go. Making sure it is power stretched during install is the only way to go.
Thanks for the reply, I will check out the carpet-rug institute if I can find it.
I didn't even know there was a "traffic rating scale (1junk to 5 top quality), this is really a good tip. I bought a rug for my sons room after two years its flat as a pancake with absolutely no body to it at all and it wasn't cheap!

As for the one I need now it is not for wall to wall, I want a 12 inch border around the whole rug, how is that going to be sense it will not be power stretched?

Isn't there just a brand that one can trust or is this 2 much to hope for/expect?

Changeling

Old 09-16-08, 11:07 PM
each manufactor will have high end and low end carpets to satisfy every consumers budget....the carpet you had that went "flat" sounds like olefin or polyester...they can be mid range price wise depending on style BUT they have little fiber retention..once worn down the pile is crushed and thats about it.

Nylon holds retention better but can be stained...as olefin is very hard to stain..since basicly its plastic. A good rule of thumb is think of olefin as a plastic bag you walk on it and it gets used...you get all those little wrinkles in the bag? Thats what happens to the carpet it just gets junked really quick

I would head over to a flooring store and just ask to see the traffic rating of a good nylon with a manufactor warranty in your price range. If they can not provide the info or if they try to redirect you to this one particular carpet or another then walk. I personnaly do not have a preference in manufactors...i have seen pros and cons to everyone i have run accross. Most of the time....the carpet is installed in a place that is un wise and it never had a chance.

IE: bathroom, kitchen commercial places with high spill rates

Old 09-17-08, 12:20 AM
T
You can find the Carpet Rug Institute website @ http://www.carpet-rug.org/index.cfm
Shop around for the best price points at local carpet retailers. Your best opportunities are likely those that offer several manufacturers' products. Each manufacturer will offer a good, better, best level of quality, warranty, and price.
It's a well-known fact that solution dyed nylon has the reputation for being the best. The dye is added to the mix while in molten state and is not subject to fading. If looking for the best, you will pay more. And, you also need to purchase the best padding or cushion. It is very important from the standpoint of carpet wear that you purchase quality cushion. In additon, proper care and maintenance of carpet is extremely important. This includes regular vacuuming and professional cleaning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: