How to clean the fluff balls on the new carpet

Old 10-13-08, 11:19 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to clean the fluff balls on the new carpet

I have recently installed a lot of new carpet in my house. There are little fluff balls on the carpet, which I read is normal for new carpets and should go away after cleaning 2-3 times. I bought a new vacuum, Hoover, and started vacuuming. The vaccum kept getting clogged up. It is almost impossible to keep vacuuming. Every 5 seconds I need to bent over and manually pull the fluff out of the hose. And the vacuuming action creates bigger fluff balls. I ended up with a bigger mess after vacuuming. I have vacuumed about 3 times and all I see is more and more fluff balls. I don't know if my carpet is no good, or my vacuum is no good, or all is normal (hard to believe though). Any advice is highly appreciated.

Old 10-13-08, 10:07 PM
That is normal for cheaper "staple yarn" instead of more costly "continuous filament"

Set the vacuum height adjustment all the way up, not all the way down, or you will be combing the yarn.

That stuff will shed for months until it subsides.

Old 10-14-08, 09:11 PM
A
Staple is not always cheaper yarn (price or quality). WearDated staple 6.6 nylon is used on some crazy high end products.

But i have never had a shedding claim with a WearDated either.

Old 10-15-08, 09:27 AM
N
What we bought is the featured product at Lowe's. We picked Nylon for the main level and Polyester for bedrooms. True these are not the more expensive types, but they are not cheap either. The Nylon carpet has more fluffs than Polyester. The reason why we went to Lowe's is because we don't know much about carpets so we want to go to a bigger store and get some quality assurance. Now it sounds like this is unusual. For the price I paid I should get less fluffs. I may want to file a complaint with Lowes to see what they can do.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-15-08, 10:33 AM
A
Originally Posted by newhb View Post
these are not the more expensive types, but they are not cheap either.
I think you are confusing this carpet as not being "cheap" with how much you spent on it. Versus quality.

In the carpet world, you bought cheap carpet. Whether or not you felt you spent a lot on it or not.

You are going to have shedding for several months, which is normal for these kind of staple products like CDW stated first. Whoever told you 2-3 cleanings did not know what they were talking about. Quality assurance?

Old 10-15-08, 04:39 PM
I expect expectations not being met from any flooring sold through Lowe's or HD. The knowledge about carpets and the production is not there. Heck, a lot of mom & pop stores hire sales staff that are just as clueless.

Staple yarn is not high end capet, no matter how much you paid. "Cost a lot" is a relative term. It would have cost a lot more for the good stuff. I hope they educated you on the ployester carpet!!! That stuff is going to "ugly out" in short order, as all polyester carpet have done, since they have tried to produce the look of nylon carpet with very cheap polyester.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: