Carpet tack strip in basement

Old 11-11-08, 07:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet tack strip in basement

I am finishing off my basement and was told to put the base molding down prior to having the carpet installed. If I do this, how do the carpet guys install the tack strip? Should I have the carpet installed first, then do the molding?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-11-08, 10:50 AM
N
I'm not a carpeting expert but anytime I've pulled out old carpet the tack strips always seem to be about 1/2" away from the base moulding.

Also if your painting your base moulding its easier to paint prior to the carpet being installed. Just a few minor (hopefully) touchups after the carpet installers are done.

Old 11-11-08, 01:52 PM
Smile

The baseboard will need to be in place before the carpet is laid. If you don't, after the carpet is laid, the baseboard will be on top of the carpet tack strips and the carpet could never be replaced/repaired without removing the base. the reason the strip is laid away from the base, is to allow room for the carpet ends to be tucked neatly under the base.
Some people want the shoe moulding put down after the carpet; some leave it off. Personal choice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: