Human urine and cat pee makes for stinky carpet

Old 12-26-08, 11:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Human urine and cat pee makes for stinky carpet

Ok heres the story.. ex-room-mate got so drunk he peed on the carpet in the hallway..cats picked up the scent and now occassionally use that area as thier personal potty..

I have shampooed 6 times.. dumped vinegar on the spot AND today.. pulled up the carpet.. scrubbed the woods slabs (with bleach) underneath the pad.. soaked and scrubbed the padding(with regular liquid soap).. covered the padding with plastic (to prevent more seeps throughs) shampooed the carpet and sprayed with vinegar again, once dried sprayed with Febreeze..

It STILL stinks!!! I rent the house and can't afford to lose the security deposit.. short of replacing the carpet and padding i don't know what else to do.. Funny thing is.. the flooring under the pad didn't smell.. the pad and the carpet.. yuck!

This area of carpet butts up to the three bedrooms and bathroom.. So the carpet up there is all one piece... Idon't know what else to do.. When I sprayed the underside of the carpet with vinegar i noticed the urine outline.. I didn't realize it soaked and bigger area then where he peed..

I don't know what to do except replace the carpet.. but since it's all once piece how do i go about it? How can i remove and install new carpet (myself, yes) without making it look like a hack job and having it fall apart when i vaccuum...???

Help please!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-27-08, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 57 Posts
Go to the store and look for an odor neutralizer that uses enzymes. They are generally easy to find, but you need to sort through the deodorizers (like you've already tried) that are just scented water. The enzyme deodorizers really work.

Old 12-28-08, 11:14 AM
I have heard how you moved the scent around, but how did you actually try to extract it, instead of covering it up??

Rental shampooers do more damage, spread the problem, and don't extract anything.

At this point, it may be a carpet replacement. Your landlord is going to charge you for it anyway, you might as well ask him what color he wants.

Old 12-28-08, 11:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should also give your roomate a colostomy bag when he drinks.

Old 01-01-09, 12:41 AM
subfloor sounds like it is going to need sealed and padding replaced...

with all that being said...upon moveout if you leave it your landlord is most likely going to take the deposit...so either replace it now or just fess up to him and see if he/she has a remanent around

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: