Mechanical Removal of Carpet Glue From Concrete

Old 01-07-09, 09:00 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mechanical Removal of Carpet Glue From Concrete

I will need to remove latex carpet glue from our basement family room floor to paint the floor. My wife and I have already done two basement bedrooms with razor scrapers and hot water that I thickened with corn starch. It was very difficult!

A couple of days ago, the front page of our newspaper showed a worked removing carpet glue from concrete with a circular scrubber. This looks like a large circular floor sander. I just happen to have access to one of these that has bristles. The glue in the picture simply appeared to liquify. He had to be using some sort of liquid that would dissolve the latex glue. Any idea what it could be? I have found from a search that citrus based cleaners are sometimes used. What will attack the glue without causing a fire hazard?

Chuck

Old 03-30-09, 11:29 AM
B
carpet adhesive removal

I'm about to do this also.
The local big box store told me to use a 115v concrete grinder. The also recommended a vaccum cleaner. I found those item less expensive at a tool rental place.

Old 04-08-09, 11:32 AM
B
did it

I did rent the 115v concrete grinder. They didn't have a vacuum so I put drop cloths over the doors and windows.
I rented the grinder for 24 hours at a cost of $42, including tax and dammage ins. I also had to buy 3 stones at a price of $5 each. The room is 18'x21' and it took me about 6 hours to finish.
The good part is that it did an excellent job of removing the carpet adhesive as well as high imperfections of the floor.
The bad part is that I have concrete dust in the entire house
If you do this you should cover doors, vents and windows with plastic in addition to using a vacuum. Maybe this will keep the dust from you living areas.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: