Recommendation carpet for basement

Old 02-14-09, 08:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Recommendation carpet for basement

Hello,

My wife and I are in the process of picking out carpet for the basement. The basement is dry and we have no water issues. I would like to get berber but everyone I talk to say once you get a pull and it pulls, it is too hard to fix. I just want to get the best rug for down there just in case we have moisture issues and a water leak, etc.

We do have a dog and no children as of yet but will in the future. Please let us know what the best carpet or our options are for the basement.

Thanks

Old 02-16-09, 04:46 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Commercial grade is the best way to go but berber will work. Remember no pad in a basement.

Old 02-17-09, 12:45 AM
i thought there was a thread similar to this the other day...may want to do a search to see what came out of that. No matter what type of carpet you put down there if you have a moisture issue (depending on what type of water loss) its going to be to some degree a issue. I do agree no padding or your just asking for problems. berber is just a style of carpetting...olefin, nylon are also made in that style. olefin carpets are inexpensive but will wear out faster..nylon will have more fiber retention, but cost more and can be stained

so it all comes down to how much is in your budget and how long you want to have this area in this condition

Old 02-19-09, 04:59 PM
R
Why no padding? I live in South Central Wisconsin and everyone with a finished basement and so-called reputable carpet stores all advise laying down padding. Some recommend putting down padding with a vapor barrier and others say just to put down 8lb, 3/8" pad. What is the reasoning behind just laying the carpet?

Old 02-19-09, 07:36 PM
No pad is recommended in basements because of IAQ problems. Like moisture, Mold, bacteria.

Old 02-20-09, 04:56 AM
R
I understand what the potential problems are, but what keeps moisture, mold, etc. from developing if you don't have a pad? How about a pad with a vapor barrier and mold resistant chemical built in to it?

Old 02-20-09, 01:27 PM
The pad will hold the water! If it floods you will have to remove it. If you have carpet with no pad and you have a flood you can dry the carpet and you will not have to toss it.

Nothing will keep the carpet from devloping mold but with a bad you are more likely to have a problum if it gets wet. VB will hold the moisture in. Chemicals in a pad or fine, But if it gets wet you will still have to toss it.

Old 02-28-09, 07:34 PM
D
Originally Posted by airman.1994 View Post
The pad will hold the water! If it floods you will have to remove it. If you have carpet with no pad and you have a flood you can dry the carpet and you will not have to toss it.

Nothing will keep the carpet from devloping mold but with a bad you are more likely to have a problum if it gets wet. VB will hold the moisture in. Chemicals in a pad or fine, But if it gets wet you will still have to toss it.
Hey guys,

OK, went to LOWES... They recommended a pad calledODOR BAN II 'Carpet Cushion' or the pad they use for basement installs. They said it has a rubber backing and is moisture resistent.

The carpet we are looking at is a 'berber' Mohawk Classic Knit,
Fiber: 100% Continuous Filament Olefin
Face Weight: 43oz
Density: 5,059
PAR Rating: 4.00
Twist: 3.75 x 3.75

10 year Abrasive Wear
20 year Stain
5 year Texture Retention
1 year Man, defect

It was one of their 'specials' rug... $1.58 a sq ft

Does that sound good for the basement?

Thanks

Old 02-28-09, 08:14 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Old 02-28-09, 08:54 PM
rubber pad will cause any moisture that comes up from slab to puddle under pad because it can not dry out. No pad would be best.

Old 02-28-09, 08:58 PM
D
rubber pad will cause any moisture that comes up from slab to puddle under pad because it can not dry out. No pad would be best.
I think the rubber is on the other side???? Have you ever heard of that carpet pad?

Old 03-01-09, 08:02 AM
No matter which side the rubber is on it will not breath and it will trap moisture under the rubber. Which could result in mold growth and odor.

Old 03-05-09, 12:43 PM
Z
What about carpet squares, such as the Legato carpet tiles sold at Home Depot, etc. I'm looking into putting something like this on the unfinished storage areas of my basement. Doesn't call for a pad because it has a "traction back system" to stay in place?

Anyone used a product similar to this?

Old 03-13-09, 05:06 PM
D
No matter which side the rubber is on it will not breath and it will trap moisture under the rubber. Which could result in mold growth and odor.
So Airman, wat do you recommend putting down there? I hear dufferent suggestions, pros, cons for everything for a basement... You don;t think berber/Olefin is ok down in a basement?

Old 03-13-09, 08:15 PM
I think any carpet will be fine! Just no pad should be used because of mold and moisture problems.

Old 03-14-09, 08:31 AM
D
I think any carpet will be fine! Just no pad should be used because of mold and moisture problems.
Airman, I found this quote on the net:

"Carpet padding serves several different purposes. One of them is moisture protection. This is especially helpful in spaces like a basement, because they are more susceptible to moisture. The reason for this is that they are normally located underground and on a concrete subfloor, which allows moisture to come in. This moisture can cause mold and mildew to grow under and in your carpeting and padding as well, which can be a health concern. By choosing the right basement carpet pad, you can help forestall these problems to allow you to live comfortably and healthy in your basement."

"Another purpose that a basement carpet pad serves is protecting your carpet. Carpet without a pad under it will not last as long, because it continually rubs and comes into contact with your subfloor. Padding can help it to last longer, because it takes some of the weight that can damage carpet. Even though people assume that carpet padding is to help the carpet to feel softer for walking, it really protects the carpet, helping it to last longer"

Old 03-14-09, 08:45 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
dcanesdbs

Is this the source of your quote??
The Flooring Lady: Basement Carpet Pad

Bud

Last edited by Bud9051; 03-14-09 at 08:52 AM. Reason: add emphasis
Old 03-14-09, 10:08 AM
Again A pad will only hold the moisture! If you have a flood / pipe break etc say good by to the carpet if you have a pad. You will not be able to dry the pad out. If no pad is used you can dry the carpet out and have it steamed cleaned and you will be back to normal. My back ground is not carpet!! It is IAQ and we see this all the time costing customers thousands more in repair.

Old 03-14-09, 05:54 PM
D
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
dcanesdbs

Is this the source of your quote??
The Flooring Lady: Basement Carpet Pad

Bud
HAHAHA, yes... I guess she doesn't know her stuff

Old 03-14-09, 06:00 PM
D
Again A pad will only hold the moisture! If you have a flood / pipe break etc say good by to the carpet if you have a pad. You will not be able to dry the pad out. If no pad is used you can dry the carpet out and have it steamed cleaned and you will be back to normal. My back ground is not carpet!! It is IAQ and we see this all the time costing customers thousands more in repair.
Someone mentioned about tiling the entire basement and put down area rugs. How would that be? Cold? Any what about the gym room that will have weights, etc... If one drops, it will crack so what would be a good option there?

Old 03-15-09, 08:48 AM
Tile yes cold! I still like carpet in the basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: