carpet creases

Old 03-04-09, 10:01 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carpet creases

hi there. we had a carpet laid a few years ago,when we had it done we asked the fitter if we could put a carpet cleaner on it and he said any carpet shouldnt have one as it removes the scotch gaurd which makes it twice likely to dirten and twice as quick.so he said get a off cut of the carpet(which we kept)and with some white spirit rub the stain or mark which will remove it.brilliant it did.but i may have soaked it a bit to much as now the area that was rubbed has got big creases in it that look terrible as if the carpet has stretched.is there anyone out there that has gone through the same problem but has rectified it or is there anyone out there that can tell me the best remedy for it please.i have bought some copy dex as it states for carpets on it where i was going to cut a few small slits in the carpet and try and apply some underneath and press firmly down,also i got some of that spray that fitters use to spay through the slits i make.if there is anyone out there with a brighter idea if so please let desperate simon know. cheers

Old 03-04-09, 10:04 PM
A
First off, go get your carpets cleaned. It is true that cleaning it wll eventually wear off the scotch guard. Eventually. Each cleaning take abot 10-15% of the protactant off. But the protectant is easy to have reapplied and cheap. Every other cleaning have it applied. Second i'm assuming you have a gluedown installation. You used mineral spirits, in heavy doses, to clean your carpet and that has caused the carpet to release from the floor. Did i get that right? After the carpet has been cleaned thouroghly, you can do your cut and glue idea but unless you seal the edges of your cut you will end up with fraying and tuft loss. The other option is to find a carpet or vinyl syringe from an installer supply store. Inject the proper adhesive under the carpet and weight the carpet over night.

Tangent: There seems to be a growing number of people that think if they never have there capets cleaned, it will last longer. The problem is, that soil is what destroys your carpet. It actually cuts at the filaments (especially if you have sandy soil like we do out west) and causes your carpet to ugly-out quicker. I hear all the time, 'it never looked dirty until i got it cleaned.'
If your carpets are being cleaned by cheap fly by night cleaners who over use detergent and over wet the carpet, than yes, it will look dirtier after the first cleaning. Stop using those complanies. I talked to a lady 2 weeks ago who has used the same guy for 4 years. (the cheapest guy in town she told me) The carpets take 3 days to completely dry. I don't know what was worse: 3 days to dry or 4 years of using him. Her carpet looked like the ocean it was so wrinkled. (that example was extreme but the idea is the same) A properly trained cleaner with good equipment will use little detergent, get it all out and you'll be dry within 2-5 hours with good airflow in the house.
The reality is you have to have your carpets cleaned regularly. And its better to have them cleaned before they look like they need it or the damage has already been done. If you are one of those people who only clean their carpets because it has become so bad you can't stand it...the damage has been done. No i'm not a carpet cleaner in case anyone is wondering.

Old 03-06-09, 07:25 AM
S
thanks for the reply

cheers mate for ther reply on that i will go out and look for one of those syringes and get the carpet cleaned.my mind is at ease now, cheers

Old 03-13-09, 05:11 PM
Your carpet has delaminated!!! Good luck fixing that!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: