carpet baseboard

Old 03-07-09, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carpet baseboard

We stayed at a nice hotel, and noticed the carpet baseboard in the rooms. I just got done installing carpet in two bedrooms,and I would like to use carpet instead of baseboard.It would save a lot of time,money ,and allow me to spend more on the show areas. Do any of you guys know were to get this material at a decent price? Menards doesn't have it ,and can't even order it.

Old 03-07-09, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To my knowledge, it's not something normally seen in residential settings, so you would have to go to a Real Carpet Store. You may be surprised that it really isn't cheaper though, especially for a small job. We put it in the hallways and rooms in a Military barracks we refurbished, but it's been too long for me to tell you what the pricing was like. It had to be glued on, I remember that.

One of the Pro's may be able to answer more completely.

Old 03-08-09, 02:04 PM
A
Capet cove for our area runs .65 to make it per linear foot. You also have the cost of carpet. The standard is to take the same carpet you put on the floor and make it into cove so it matches. You do not have to glue it. Stapling it on is better because it will be replaced one day when you change our carpet next time. No damage to the wall when you take it off. Typically to by the carpet, make the cove and hang it costs more than mdf base. Especially when you factor in mdf base never has to be replaced, only repainted.

Old 03-08-09, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Arkon...duh on me..I said had to be glued on..but I didn't clarify. Of course our walls were all concrete block.

Old 03-09-09, 02:02 AM
S
Carpet cove is fairly easy to install and the material to do it oft times comes from scrap pieces left over from the job. One thing to keep in mind is the termination at the top edge. In motels and the like, it is usually bound. But, I've also done it where the homeowner put some sort of wood trim up to define where the cove went and I just butted to the bottom of it. There is also cove cap available, but is normally not something your local hardware store will carry. That is usually found at a flooring store.

Old 03-09-09, 09:38 PM
A
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
Arkon...duh on me..I said had to be glued on..but I didn't clarify. Of course our walls were all concrete block.
Gluing it is not wrong. I know guys that only glue cove on in commercial settings because they don't want a call back complaint of the cove comming off. I just wanted it out there the other way to go about it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: