Carpet installed in basement, transition needed for tile?

Old 05-12-09, 12:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet installed in basement, transition needed for tile?

Hello,

Lowes will be installing my carpet tomorrow in the basement and I was just talking to the installer. I have 2 areas, one in the foyer 5x5 area where it is tiles and another area, 12x12 where it is also tiled. I am having Berber carpet installed with a pad. The installer is recommending installing a transition piece where the tile meets the carpet. I told him that I didn't want that and mentioned that a few people I know, and saw, they have the tack strips about a half-inch maybe from the tile and the carpet then laid and buts up against the tile with no transition. It looks pretty good. I few others said that is the way they should do it. The installer from Lowes was adamant about installing a transition because in his words, the carpet it going to kick up from people accidentally kicking it, etc... Is this true? I just didn't want these big transition pieces sticking out in the middle of the living room.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-09, 06:54 PM
D
What kind of tile? If it is ceramic, you need a better qualified installer. If it is VCT, LVT, or Duraceramic you can have them finish the edge with a z-bar. This is a metal strip mounted under the tackless and the carpet folds over and under it leaving it look like the carpet is tucked to the tile. And in the case that you are dealing with a thin tile and the installer does not know what a z-bar is, ask him to leave and send someone who knows how to install carpet.

Old 05-12-09, 09:18 PM
D
Originally Posted by Daniel Wachtel View Post
What kind of tile? If it is ceramic, you need a better qualified installer. If it is VCT, LVT, or Duraceramic you can have them finish the edge with a z-bar. This is a metal strip mounted under the tackless and the carpet folds over and under it leaving it look like the carpet is tucked to the tile. And in the case that you are dealing with a thin tile and the installer does not know what a z-bar is, ask him to leave and send someone who knows how to install carpet.
Yes, it is ceramic...

I will mention the Z-bar tomorrow...

He said he had 35 years experience installing carpet... Now my brother in laws brother had him install his carpet (Lowes) and he said he did a great job. I was just turned off by his explanation of why a transition should be there...

He also didn't want the baseboards there but guess what, I made sure they were installed. The guy that installed my baseboard kept it about a half inch from the concrete floor...

Old 05-13-09, 05:04 PM
D
For ceramic he can just install the tackless 1/4" from the ceramic and tuck the edge to it. Well, unless the edge of the ceramic is not very straight.

Old 05-13-09, 07:50 PM
D
Originally Posted by Daniel Wachtel View Post
For ceramic he can just install the tackless 1/4" from the ceramic and tuck the edge to it. Well, unless the edge of the ceramic is not very straight.
Ok, they agreed to tuck it under... I see the tack strip is a little from the tile.... He called me down though and showed me an example of if someone kicked it by accident what it would do to the crapet... He pushed against it a few times and then it came up and looked like crap.... He said he will bring a piece of what the oak transition would look like but I told him to do the tuck and if I decide to add the transition I will do it at another time...

Do you know of anyone putting this transition in from tile to carpet?

Old 05-14-09, 05:16 PM
D
I've seen it and personally I think it looks like crap. A bead of latex seam sealer in the gully between the strip and tile would make "kicking" the carpet out of place impossible. As a carpet installer of 26 years I rarely if ever have a repair callback for such a problem. As a carpet inspector I have seen it a couple times.