New Home. Preparing Urine Damaged Basement Floor for Carpet.

Old 05-19-09, 08:13 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New Home. Preparing Urine Damaged Basement Floor for Carpet.

On June 12th we are going to close on our home that we have agreed to purchase. The home has MAJOR cat urine issues in the basement carpet and so we got an allowance from the seller to replace.

Also we take possession on the 12th and don't move in until the 18th so we have a few days to tear out and treat basement floor before we move in. I have scoured the net and have heard a number of ideas on how to neutralize the cat odor in the concrete. Here is what i have read:

- Remove carpet and using Baking Soda on effected areas. Then remove it after sitting for awhile.

-Use enzymatic cleaners and let set for up to one week before sealing with Kilz or similar.

-Use bleach and water instead of enzymatic cleaner and then seal with Kilz.

So as you can tell the ideas are all over the place, but what works? I am also planning to pick up a black light so i can focus my attention on the most effected areas.

Old 05-26-09, 05:54 PM
K
Bleaching and then using kilzs works great. Had the same problem in my house and the smell never came back.

Old 06-13-09, 06:11 PM
U
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Hello, I know for a fact the best primer on the market is B-I-N. It's like $25 a gallon but it is THE BEST! My soon to be father in law swore by it. I now know why. I used it to cover: cat urine and cigarette tar with great results! I have tried to cover water stains and such with 2 coats of Valspar to no avail. One coat of Bin and it's ready for paint! I used it over a notorious cat/dog "bathroom" spot on the wood floor and the scent was gone! Hope this helps. Good luck! Jack

Old 06-16-09, 09:19 AM
M
Awesome information. Also dealing with urine issues. Will have to keep these methods in mind. Thanks to all!

Old 06-22-09, 09:05 AM
A
I've used bleach and water for years and have never once had a call back due to odors. I've also never sealed the concrete with any sort of primer to encapsulate the odor. A strong bleach solution will kill the smell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: