Carpet Molding

Old 12-11-09, 06:07 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet Molding

I'm planning on laying carpet in my basement but should I install the floor molding before having the carpet laid or can I wait until the carpet is laid and then nail up the molding?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-09, 04:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 300 Votes on 266 Posts
either or - doesn't make a lot of difference

If you install the base board first, you don't have to worry about getting paint on the carpet but you will have to do a little touch up after the carpet is installed.The base should be raised enough to allow the carpet to be tucked up under it. For most carpets it's 1/2" which is usually the thickness of the base board.

Some like to install the base after carpet. You can prime and apply first coat of enamel prior to installation but you still need to caulk, putty and apply last coat of enamel after installation.

Old 01-03-10, 05:50 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
install base first ,depending on your install exp. A diy. or novice should put base up after the carpet to cover any mistakes from trimming carpet down. A skilled mechanic should have base installed first to provide a gully for the carpet to be tucked into ,tack strip has a beveled edge facing the wall so the carpet tucks into it "gully". Installing base 1/2" high could leave gaps between carpet and base , depending on area conditions or high spots in the sudstrait. P.S a skilled mechanic should have a wall trimer to cut down carpet so not to damage floor base ,If not he's a hacker