Carpet over concrete floor

Old 03-04-00, 10:32 PM
EMCC
Visiting Guest
Question

I hope to replace the wall to wall carpet in my family room. The subfloor is concrete and can be hard and cold. I am considering installing a berber or a commercial grade carpet since the room is entered from the patio door and garage door and receives quite a bit of dirty foot traffic. What can I do to make this floor more comfortable while keeping it attractive?

Old 03-05-00, 12:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Me Too. I've taken the last 3 months looking into this and for what it's worth, skip the Berber. If it's a high traffic area, Berber won't hold up as well as a Nylon short pile and it's difficult to clean. Your home sounds like mine (entry from garage and patio) Try a dense level loop for a busy room. Do you have heavy furniture? If so, look for a carpet that has a high RETENTION rate so that if you move anything, the carpet will spring back. However, carpet is only as good as it's padding. DON'T buy re-bond. You'll know when you see it, re-bond is recycled padding (multicolored foam). I'm going with a medium density, seven-sixteenths of an inch thick of prime urethane. Have Fun choosing colors!

Old 03-05-00, 04:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EMCG:
MB is correct about the pad. This is the area which most people get cheap on. I would always buy the best pad I could get. A thick pad will take the cold out of the floor plus add years to your carpet. I do disagree that Burber is not the best. It is the way that the carpet is made that makes it last and burber has it. The only carpet tougher is that used in motel lobbies. Good Luck

------------------
Jack the Contractor

Old 03-06-00, 06:11 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a professional carpet cleaner my advice would be to get the shortest, tightest nylon nap you can find. Both parties are correct about the underpad. My advice to people is to get the best pad available. Even if this means going down slightly in the quality of the carpet. Most people have a budget for carpeting a room and to stay within your budget, go up in underlay and down in carpet.

Do not under any circumstances do either of the following. Install light grey carpet. Or, put mats over the carpet in the entryway.

The light grey will reflect brown in the light spectrum as it wears. Your carpet might be clean, but will look dirty because of this light reflection condition.

The mats will either bleed their colour down to the carpet below or trap mointure that could cause the onset of mold and mildew.

Have the heavy traffic areas of your carpets cleaned at least twice per year and they will give you years of wonderful service.

Ted

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: