preparing concrete steps for carpet

Old 08-24-00, 07:03 AM
Visiting Guest
I closed in the patio and am trying to prepare the concrete steps for carpet. Since the steps are brick frame with thin concrete overlay on the tread, I am going to cover tread and riser with wood to have something to attach tack strips to. Question:Since the stairs enter the room on the center of the wall, do I overhang the wood on the sides of the tread only, or do I overhang the tread and riser and if so, how much do I need to over hang.The sides will be drywalled.

Old 08-27-00, 06:33 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've never seen anyone use tack strip on stairs. Carpeting is stapled to stairs. Tack strip just doesn't have enough grip to make it safe for stairs.

You can rent a stapler with narrow crown staples for this job. Regular T50 staples are too wide and show thru the carpet.

Ted

Old 11-26-04, 11:26 PM
eplain
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Ted Heissner
I've never seen anyone use tack strip on stairs. Carpeting is stapled to stairs. Tack strip just doesn't have enough grip to make it safe for stairs.

You can rent a stapler with narrow crown staples for this job. Regular T50 staples are too wide and show thru the carpet.

Ted

frankly i dont understand what you are doing but!
I will say this.
Tackless IS used on stairs and i will take it everytime over staples.
you MUST install it properly. (and you CAN do it on concrete with nails and or strong good quality construction adheasive. But must be done correctly.

So here you go...

You put a strip down on the back of the tread about 3/4 of in inch frorn the base of the riser, teeth facing towards riser. It depends on the thickness of your carpet to get the really nice crisp clean staple free look. this is great for thin carpets that show staples and for thick carpets that you have a hard time getting a staple through (this more so). but i cant tell you how important it is to get this right or your carpet will not attach.

The next strip goes on the riser, teeth facing down same distance away as the bottom piece.

Once all strips are on, start at the bottom and staple the begining to the base of the first riser. Flop the carpet up the stairs so it lays dead straight and gently press the carpet down on the first step with your thumbs and fore fingers untill you hear the carpet touch the teeth. It is at this point that you hammer (with a stair tool...this is why they were made!...this is what the stair tool s for! you hammer the carpet firmly but not so hard you poke a hole in it. On a cold day , this is VERY possible (you shouldnt be installing ANYTHING at this temperature anyway) you gently and firmly hammer it into the teeth and they grab it quite strongly. you should use your kicker first to bump it into the tackless before giving the final hammer down. bring your knee kicker up and bump it in again to the next step and hammer a nice straight crease in. repeat this all the way up and it will look sweet

Note:

this is for the "water fall" method. To much detail to get inot if you want to do it "Taiored" or "Hollywood" style.

Also, no tackless strip on the top riser.

Technically, you can to a nice clean TIGHT job doing this without a knee kicker. Ive done it.

Its the best way to go. No staples marks, its clean and crisp,its faster, and stronger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: