drilling through carpeted floor

Old 11-21-00, 06:47 PM
Visiting Guest
Is there an easy way to drill through a carpeted floor without the drill bit winding up some carpet fibers and damaging the carpet and/or stalling the drill? I am running a new telephone line through the carpeted floor. Thank You

Old 11-21-00, 10:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Marv,

Very slowly. More to the point, you didn't say what kind of carpet it was. Some are more difficult than others. I would prob'ly use an awl to poke through the carpet and pad, insert the drill bit and try to keep the fibers from touching the bit as it turns slowly. Watch your fingers too.

Good luck,

Jim
JMFloors

Old 11-22-00, 01:30 PM
Elite Flooring/Ken Fisher
Visiting Guest
Red face

Jim:

I wish I had your advice a few years back as I wired some additional stereo speakers to my downstairs garage/workshop. Low and behold I drilled through Berber carpeting and you can guess what happened. I was in a hurry to hear the sound rock the neighborhood and didn't think twice. Oh well, it's now covered with furniture...LOL

Old 11-22-00, 08:52 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Ken,

I bet the sound did rock the neighborhood -- the sound of you cussing yourself out.

Jim
JMFloors

Old 11-23-00, 07:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool

If it is a cut pile carpet, drill away! I would use an Ice pick or steak knife to dig a hole in the carpet first.
Loop pile is a different story. The yarn is one continuous yarn and can get caught on the drill bit and pull a run in the carpet.
Dig your hole as above, but be sure your inbetween rows. Wrap the drill bit with masking tape. Slide the bit with the tape in your hole you have dug out of the carpet and pad. Push down and go slow!!!

Good luck!

Perry Wright
Austin, Texas

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: