Wet Carpet Stinks

Old 03-08-10, 03:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wet Carpet Stinks

I recently had a boiler leak which resulted in water seeping thru the wall and into my bedroom--which is on the other side of the boiler room.

I tried to use a WetDry vac and managed to get up most of the water(about 4 gallons), but now there is a nasty smell in my bedroom which is noticeable throughout the house...what can I do to get rid of the smell?

Old 03-08-10, 07:07 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wet

Originally Posted by jayedmo
I recently had a boiler leak which resulted in water seeping thru the wall and into my bedroom--which is on the other side of the boiler room.

I tried to use a WetDry vac and managed to get up most of the water(about 4 gallons), but now there is a nasty smell in my bedroom which is noticeable throughout the house...what can I do to get rid of the smell?
You won't get rid of the smell unless you remove the wet pad and dry the carpet. Pull back the carpet and see how far the water seeped under it. REMOVE the wet pad and Vac both sides of the carpet and the floor. Place a box fan on the affected carpet area (while it is pulled back) until it is dry. Install a piece of new pad in the affected area and put the carpet back down on the tack strips. Wouldn't hurt to spray a little Lysol on the bottom and top of the carpet.

Old 03-08-10, 12:02 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I agree - the pad is probably the source of the odor

When this happens in one of our units, we pull up the carpet and set something between it and the floor to allow blowing a fan into the underside of the carpet. Wet pad gets removed and replaced.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: