carpeting with pool table

Old 03-09-10, 06:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
carpeting with pool table

Hello. I've got an unforeseen problem as I near the finish of my newly-finished basement. My initial plan was to have laminate flooring; I've laid down dricore underlayment up to where my pool table is, with the plan of using a pool table dolly to raise the table, install the dricore and laminate under the legs, lower the table and finish the area where the dolly was. But we've since decided to do carpeting. Is it still possible to do the above with the dolly? My concern (brought up by the carpet saleswoman) is it would be difficult to stretch the carpeting this way. The other (expensive) option is to disassemble the table, install the carpet and reassemble.
One final idea I had is to tile the area under the table and carpet the rest of the room around it. Is this possible? practical? Your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-10, 03:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
One thing you don't want under a pool table is laminate flooring. The weight of the table legs will flex the laminate and it will eventually cause problems with the tongues and grooves surrounding it. If you plan on installing tile (better choice), be sure consider whether you want just the table leg area tiled, or if you want a landing strip around it for foot traffic. The former would be better, but consider when you get tired of the table and move it out. How will the tile area look overall? May not be a bad idea on the tile.

Old 03-10-10, 04:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I had a neighbor [he got divorced and moved] and his wife was big on playing pool [played in tournaments] He built a large addition unto their house to accommodate her pool table. The flooring was carpet and parquet. I don't remember if the pool was on the carpet surrounded by parquet or the other way around. Whichever way it was, the flooring under the pool table was 3' [?] larger than the pool table and the rest was the other type of flooring.

Old 03-10-10, 06:46 AM
J
So if I were to install tile under the pool table (directly over the concrete), would there be any problem for the carpet installers to install the carpet completely around the tiled area (with regards to being able to stretch it)? I have no plans of ever removing the pool table so I won't have to worry later about the tiled area being in the middle of all the carpet. Thanks again

Old 03-10-10, 12:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
The carpet guys have a metal moulding that they can run around the perimeter of the tile and carpet to it - no problem
They may also have other ways of dealing with it. They run carpet up to hardwood and/or tile everyday.

Old 03-10-10, 02:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
And you always want to install hard to soft. In other words install your tile first and let the carpet guys install the softer carpet up to it. Much nicer job that way. Making the apron a few feet larger than the table edge may just catch a Bud can or two and keep the carpet cleaner.

Old 03-10-10, 02:32 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Yeah, I agree with tile under and around the table and then carpet around that. Your carpet installers will be able to handle this.

Old 03-11-10, 07:41 AM
J
Thanks for the tips guys! Yesterday I found a picture of someone's pool table with a floor just like the above except instead of tile they had hardwood floor, surrounded by carpet. Looked really nice and in fact I think I'll probably do wood instead of tile, maybe engineered hardwood since it's in the basement.

Old 03-12-10, 03:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Sure - just make sure it can handle the weight of the table, there's a lot of PSI on those feet