Carpet in the bathroom...

Old 06-03-10, 06:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Carpet in the bathroom...

My boyfriend has carpet in his bathroom, and although it doesn't bother him, it REALLLY bothers me! I'm afraid there is more than likely a good amount of mold underneath the carpet and I want to get rid of it because of my allergies, etc. Because I don't know measurements, I will tell you that I think it is a pretty normal sized bathroom-- it has a bath, toilet, closet, and a pretty decent sized sink area. I want to rip up the carpet myself and put vinyl tiling in. I don't think it will be too hard, but am I biting off more than I can chew?

Also, what would be the best suggestion for this problem? I just wanted to do it myself for cost efficiency. I know vinyl is cheap to buy so I thought I would try it myself (with my boyfriend's help of course)!

Thanks for the help!

Old 06-04-10, 08:52 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
I hate carpet in the bathroom as well.

Vinyl's not a bad choice but, if the floor underneath doesn't need much work to be stable enough for it, we get ceramic tile on clearance and spend less than we would on vinyl.

Biting off more than you can chew? Can't answer that for you but this isn't a bad choice for a first project.

Old 06-05-10, 03:24 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I agree with Mitch17. Try to upgrade to ceramic tile if at all possible. It is doable, and we can help you through it. "Carpet" and "Bathroom" are two incongruous words. They don't belong in the same sentence.

Old 06-05-10, 09:36 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Originally Posted by chandler
"Carpet" and "Bathroom" are two incongruous words. They don't belong in the same sentence.
Rip the carpet out of the bathroom - they go together in that sentence

Old 06-06-10, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Haha, yes I agree they do NOT belong in the same sentence... unless it is ripping out the carpet, thank you Mitch17. I will look into the ceramic tiles.. I'm assuming Lowe's or Home Depot would be a good starting point?

Old 06-06-10, 11:40 AM
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You have such a way with words and sentence structure!!!

Old 06-06-10, 02:23 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I got to where I viewed carpet in a bathroom as a red flag. Had to fight the urge to tell the customer I was booked for at least a year. It seems contractors used carpet when the floor was so bad nothing else would work.

In one case in a relatively new house where I expected to find plywood I instead found #3 T&G 2X6 that was cupped, warped, and had large gaps. Even worse around the toilet the plumber had cut out a section and when he replaced it had gotten the patch 1/2" higher.

Another case it was a concrete slab but they had originally got the toilet flange wrong so they had to jack hammer the slab to fix the toilet flange. They didn't patch the slab, just packed the concrete rubble back in.

Then there is the problem of toilets that may have been leaking for years. Because of the carpet the customers never knew and they think the leak is something you did.

Just saying all may go well but be prepared sometimes carpet isn't just a design statement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: