Need tips for carpeting/covering the stairway skirt board!

Old 12-13-10, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need tips for carpeting/covering the stairway skirt board!

We tore out the carpeting on our the entryway stairs in our bi-level. Both the stairs AND the side skirting were originally carpeted, and when we saw the status of the skirting board (staple holes and generally rough-looking) we decided we would re-carpet them again instead of finishing/painting them.

A friend of ours installed the new carpeting on the stairs but left the side skirts undone. He admitted later that he wasn't really sure how to do the side skirting in carpeting. 6 months later, our side skirts are still uncarpeted and ugly.

Seems to me that it would have been easier to carpet the skirt board and THEN do the stairs, but alas...we're stuck with how it happened. I'm thinking that we will need to make some sort of a template out of paper to fit the skirt board, then cut the carpet and install it. Is this what we should do?

Does anyone have some tips on installing carpeting on the skirt board?

Or does anyone have a simpler method to cover the skirt board? We do like a white color but we're not sure how to clean up the existing to make it look decent. Plus, we'd have a hard time painting it with the new carpeting already laid down on the stairs.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-10, 06:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I've not seen a skirtboard carpeted before, but I've only been doing this for 20+ years, so there's still time. In all honesty, I would try an initial sanding of the skirtboard, determining the overall need for repair, and use either wood putty or Minwax Wood epoxy to cover the holes, dents and boogers. It will dry very fast so you need to be moving when you do it. Once it is dried, you can sand it down smooth to your original board, prime and paint it. I believe with a little work, you will have a nice entrance way with a contrasting skirtboard that will compliment your carpet choice. Of course protect your carpet from the epoxy, primer and paint. Easy to do with blue tape and either cardboard or painter's paper.
Let us know if we can help further.

Old 12-14-10, 07:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 11 Votes on 8 Posts
I've carpeted skirtboards a few times in my 40 years as an installer, but always thought it looked like cr*P. Painted looks a lot better.