Door Gets Stuck on New Area Rug

Old 08-25-11, 04:32 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Door Gets Stuck on New Area Rug

Hello -

I could use a little advice:

I put down some new area rugs yesterday (I had them made from carpet from a carpet store) on top of the existing Bruce hardwood floors. The rugs have an 8 pound pad under them.

The problem is that a door swings part way over the new rug and gets stuck because it's too thick with the rug and pad. If I take the pad out, the door is fine.

I don't want to cut the bottom of the door down because when the door is closed, it's over hardwood floor and not carpet so I think it'll look funny having a gigantic gap.

My question is, can I cut out a section of the existing pad and patch in a thinner pad just for the portion that the door swings over? Will that cause a problem? Or, should I just cut that section of pad out all together and leave the rug directly on the wood floor?

If I'm not explaining the problem well enough, just let me know and I'll add on some pictures and clarification.

Thanks so much!

Old 08-26-11, 03:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
Is this an interior door? or is it an exterior entrance door?

If it's an interior door, I'd go ahead and cut the bottom, it shouldn't take much.

Old 08-26-11, 04:50 AM
J
Hmm, a difference in rug height might be a trip hazard, esp for elderly, sick, etc, so maybe instead of cutting it, you can figure a way to offset the rug so the door opens enough to pass through, and use decor to make the room feel balanced even though the rug is offset.

Old 08-26-11, 07:31 AM
J
Thanks for the replies, guys but not quite what I was looking for.

Here are some pictures to better explain the situation with more information.

It's an interior door with a large rug centered in the room.

The pad is cut a little shorter than the rug so the rug angles down on the edges to make a nice smooth transition. It really isn't much of a trip hazard.

I was thinking I'd just cut the corner off of the green pad (maybe two feet or so) and just leave that portion of the rug without a pad. Any problem with that? Is there a better solution? I don't want to cut the door down because then there would be a really big gap over the wood floor when the door was closed.

Thanks!

Door stuck on carpet:

Larger view of door stuck on carpet:

Pad under carpet - door swings fine and does not get stuck with just pad or just carpet but not both:

Closer view of pad and carpet:

Old 08-26-11, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
I would just cut the rug pad back.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: