CARPET & padding purchase

Old 01-12-01, 10:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I am considering a major carpet & padding purchase. I am having a time trying to decide if I should go through Home Depot or one of the nationally known carpet mill's outlet store and look for an independent carpet layer. I have gone through Home Depot for Pergo Flooring in my kitchen and was very satisfied with the work, but ended up taking over-order supplies back. What recourse would I have if going through a carpet mill and discovered they over estimated?

Old 01-13-01, 08:44 PM
Visiting Guest
either way you will probably use subcontract installers, get a couple of estimates from installers and see how much carpet they say you need. also ask the installers for references including a couple of names and phone numbers
if they are good they shouldn't mind

Old 01-15-01, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Home Depot is the biggest flooring outlet world wide! There are only a handful of carpet mills worldwide. Home Depots carpet is the same as most retail stores. It all comes from the same place, it just has a private label like mattresses. But can be cross referenced to other labels. For instance...Evans Black, Philadelphia, Home Foundations and others are all the same carpet. One may be called Couger/Rose bud, and another Label called Panter/Rose tea.

Around here Home Depot doesn't have in house installations. They refer you to several subcontractors.

Besure you check references on any installer, even from a retail store. Especially ask if they install according to CFI certified guidelines. No corners being cut on and installation, will benefit you greatly!!

The bad part about getting your carpet at Home Depot is, their sales help may sell you a pad, that is not compatible with the carpet you choose. But then again, I've seen retail stores that didn't have a clue either on pad and carpet compatibility.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: