What causes carpet bubbling and how do I fix it

Old 01-19-12, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What causes carpet bubbling and how do I fix it

Had carpet installed several years ago. Installers had to return because carpet was not butted up to the hardwood floor next to it correctly (not the same height). They came and "fixed" it when
there was furniture already on the carpet.

Since then, little by little in our bedroom it began to bubble and it has several long bubbles. Just this year the carpet in the living room
(really good carpet) has bubbled also. I have NOT used any
carpet cleaning machine that would over wet the carpets.

What do you think and how do I fix

Jan

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-12, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
It needs to be restretched, with the furniture off of it.

Old 01-20-12, 08:30 AM
Oh Sam
Would adhesive injection help at all?

Old 01-20-12, 08:30 AM
In addition to re-stretching, which will deal with the symptom, the cause should be investigated in order to avoid a repeat. You gave a clue in the need for the installers to return over a height issue. Was the wood too high or was the carpet too high? My assumption is, it was the wood and, in addressing the problem, they caused the current problem. Many installers will try to ramp stretch-in carpet up to a higher floor and create a trampoline effect in so doing which will result, over time, in the problem you now have. Instead of trying to ramp it up, there are other methods of dealing with the problem such as a threshold (transition piece), or bull nosing the wood to get rid of the sharp edge. However, although this will cause a problem in the vicinity of the trampoline effect, it won't normally travel throughout the entire floor. That issue is normally caused by an installer who simply didn't do the job. A kicker is not a stretching tool. It's used only for setting and positioning. The carpet has to be power stretched or the problem you have will occur. And by power stretched, I mean with a pole stretcher, using the poles. A spike is only for use in repairs and then only as a last resort. I stay pretty busy with re-stretches around here because so many of our local "installers" don't even own poles and just use a spike or kicker, thinking they have stretched the carpet.

Old 01-20-12, 11:48 AM
Thanks for your expertise. I am wondering if I will have any recourse with the company
that did this. I am going to try. It has been several yrs but it is clearly the reason this happened.
The hardwood floor was put in first and then the carpeting. The carpet height was under the height
of the floor....not good.BUT also we should have realized this right away and did not until the
furniture and we were moved in. (new house)
JAN

Old 01-20-12, 11:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most only warranty installation for one year, but it won't hurt to try.

Old 02-07-12, 10:31 AM
There is something "odd" about the sequence of events that jimjanstew mentioned but, I won't go into that.

Some good points were made from those who responded however, I could not help but notice the quick implication(s) that the installers were at fault (i.e. needs to be re-stretched). However, NO mention of the type / thickness / density of the carpet cushion was mentioned / requested. Was the carpet / cushion "sell-able seconds" or first quality? Nor was there any mention / inquiry about the ambient environmental conditions of the home prior to / during / after the installation. All of which could very well have played a role in the problems jimjanstew spoke of and may / may not be resolved by a re-stretch.

Old 02-07-12, 05:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have been installing for 40 years. I know it's not right but the fact is, if it was the wrong pad or the conditions were not right, technically the installer is at fault. If you are really a claims inspector, you should know that.

Old 02-08-12, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You say you are certified by CAFI. Never heard of it. Called a couple of certified inspectors, they have never heard of it either.

Old 02-08-12, 11:29 AM
I have not questioned your creditability or qualifications but, if I were so inclined, I would do it in a private message. Therefore, I ask that you return the courtesy. In the meantime, petty remarks and back-biting between the members of this forum do nothing but defeat its purpose, which is; to offer sound advice and possible solutions to the questions asked. Which I did. Having said that, I assure you, the other members and readers of this forum that my qualifications / credentials are valid and verifiable.