rug backing removal

Old 01-20-12, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rug backing removal

In one of my childrens rooms we had put down one of those thin fun-like throw rugs.We have pine hardwood floors and were in the process of cleaning the room and when we pulled up the rugs the non slip material from the rugs has adhered to the floor and we don't have any idea how to remove this stuff without damaging the flooring.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-12, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm assuming the wood floor is a finished floor and there is a protection of some sort on it. So long as you don't use chemicals strong enough to damage that finish, it shouldn't be that big an issue. It is possible you'll discover staining after the rubber backing is removed. If it were my floor, I would use a plastic scrapper to remove as much as possible, thereby avoiding a lot of scratching. Then I'd use charcoal lighter fluid to wash the rest of it off. Charcoal lighter fluid won't harm the finish on the floor and is very good at dissolving old adhesives. I use it extensively to take excess glue off sheet vinyl during the installation process. It's as effective as most solvents out there but less harmful in many instances and very "floor finish" friendly. Just don't smoke while you work.