Carpet installation, am I being ripped off?

Old 02-22-12, 04:51 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet installation, am I being ripped off?

Hi-

We want to install carpet on the upper floor of our home. I measured out the areas on my own and came out to around 1150-1200 sq ft. I say "around" because the rooms aren't perfectly square, but I made a good approximation what the area would be and always averaged high.

We went to Lowe's, and they had a guy come out and measure. He said that we would need 1,700 sq ft. of carpeting to cover our 1,200 sq ft. That seems REALLY high for waste. I understand the carpet comes in rolls that don't perfectly fit rooms and there will be waste, but this is almost 50% waste. I also understand they have to minimize seams, but again this number seemed high.

Further, we are having them move the furniture during installation, haul away the old carpet and pad, and install new padding. They are charging us 30 cents per sq. ft to remove the old carpet and 15 cents per sq. ft to move the furniture.

The problem is that they are basing the charges for the haul away and the furniture moving on the 1,700 sq ft figure, and not the actual square footage of our carpet, which is almost 50% less. When we asked about this, they said that this is "industry standard."

Further, the price they are charging us for new padding is based upon the 1700 sq ft figure again and not closer to our actual square footage. Again, I understand there is waste, but there are no seams to consider with padding, right? Since there are no seams, shouldn't there be less padding needed compared to carpet?

I have never had "nice" carpet installed before, so we have no idea if the above is "normal" or we're being taken for a ride!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-12, 05:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Get a few more contractors to come out and bid the job so you can compare.

Old 02-22-12, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
As said...only way to know is to get other bids.

You said rooms aren't square....if you mean odd sizes/shapes...that equals more waste. Simple out of square rooms (they all are) isn't the same) And yes, to some extent you will have similar waste with pads..they won't cut and patch odd sizes. Time is money....

Again...call around, get some people out to look....

Old 02-22-12, 06:14 PM
U
OK, will do. I'll call around. I was just surprised that there could be that much waste and they base all their other numbers on such a high number.

Old 02-22-12, 06:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 11 Posts
I have never seen a job with 50% waste. And I have installed for 40 years. They do base takeup and furn on the total amount of yardage that the installer must handle. And installers charge installation on every yard they handle, don't ever believe that free installation story. The installers are independent contractors and of course they are not working for free.

Not accusing this store, but I have seen stores charge for more than you need to cover the "free" labor. Then they only send out what you need. That scam has been around forever.

Old 02-26-12, 08:22 AM
I
I thnk home depot will give you a lows discount you do need more then just sqr foot of the room but not shore how much the other posters have gave you the best answer.

Old 02-26-12, 09:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
People always bring up "well XXXX will install hardwood flooring for $2.50 sf or less". I charge more. They don't understand what once XXXX arrives there will be a charge for removing shoe molding, base, removing old floor covering and disposing of same , tack strip removal, minor repairs to subflooring, etc. I urge them to get someone from XXXX to give them an estimate. They usually come back, hat in hand. I figure all that crap in at the beginning, and don't try to "sell" them an install.

Old 02-26-12, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It is well known that all the Big Box stores will charge you more than it should cost. Their "free" installation can cost twice as much as a store that is honest about what it charges.

Old 02-26-12, 08:10 PM
U
Well, I ended up getting a few quotes. A couple of big box guys, Empire Carpet, and a local guy. All of which gave me more reasonable estimates than Lowe's, which was surprising. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Old 02-26-12, 09:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be careful with Empire. They take bids on jobs on installation day and low bid gets it. You don't want anyone bidding the labor real low. You take a chance on not getting a good installation.