Steam Cleaning

Old 04-07-12, 08:01 PM
M
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Steam Cleaning

We had three bedrooms, the living room, and hallway steam cleaned today and was wondering why the carpets would be cool to the touch afterwards. Seems like if they were actually being steam cleaned, the carpet would be warm afterwards, not cold (water should have been at least 212 degrees F). Does it sound like they were not cleaned properly? And it only took them about 20 minutes, which seems WAY to fast to have effectively cleaned the carpet.

Old 04-07-12, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Add 212F water to something that's room temperature (your carpet), and the resulting temperature is nowhere near 212F. The carpet cools quickly because there is no heat source to KEEP it warm- it cools IMMEDIATELY after the cleaner passes over it. It would be like taking a pan, putting it into an oven at 212F, and then taking it out in 5 seconds. The pan would hardly have had a chance to get warm.

The idea behind steam cleaning is not to get the carpet hot, nor do you want to soak the carpet and subfloor with water.

Add to that the fact that evaporation has a cooling effect. As your carpet dries it will seem very cool to the touch. That's evaporation. It's also the principle by which a swamp cooler works.

Old 04-08-12, 08:22 AM
M
Ok, I can buy that, but 20 minutes for four rooms, hallway, and stairs? I don't see how you can actually clean the carpet that quickly. They got out the few spots that existed, but as far as actually cleaning the carpet thoroughly, I don't think so.

Old 04-08-12, 06:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Just be glad they didn't ruin the carpet. I have seen that many times with steam cleaning.

Old 04-09-12, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Like Sam said....actual steam cleaning would probably mess up the carpet. It was more likely a hot water extraction method.

Check wiki for more info.

20 min does seem awfully fast for that space though. I had a bit less done last year and it was about 40 min.

Old 04-09-12, 11:05 AM
M
I stand corrected, it was a "hot extraction" cleaning which explains the 110 degree temp as opposed to 212 degrees. So it sounds like I shouldn't run out an buy my own steam cleaner then. Where can I find my own hot water extraction cleaner? Also, the technician said that after they clean the carpet, the stain blocking properties of the carpet are no longer effective, so I should reapply some sort of stain blocking to the entire carpet (which he tried to sell me for another $95). I told him no thanks, but am wondering if there is any truth to what he said. If so, can I apply some sort of stain blocker myself?

Old 04-09-12, 01:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Don't bother buying your own carpet cleaner, the pro machines are far superior (our leases actually prohibit our tenants from cleaning their own carpet, they have to pay a pro to do it).

There are carpet cleaners who just make sure they go over every spot before they leave and there are those who attempt to make every stain disappear before they leave - sounds like you hired the former.

We clean our carpets every time a tenant moves out and do not apply any stain blocker, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 04-09-12, 06:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
At one time the stain blockers were sprayed on and would be removed when the carper was cleaned. For the last 10-15 years, the stain blockers is built in the yarn and is permanent. Did you ever wonder why berber carpets are light colored? The Olefin yarn used in them is so stain resistant it will only barely accept color.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: