Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Rugs, Carpets and Carpeting
Reload this Page >

Pesky nails won't come out of concrete after I remove wooden nail strips.

Old 04-24-12, 12:54 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am removing carpet, the pad, nail strips, everything forpreparation of a new stained concrete floor that is coming. I got most of everything out, but there are a few pesky nails that I can't get out of the concrete. What's worse is that the head of the nails popped off so my hammer and pry bar can't get a good grip on these nails. How do I get them out?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-12, 04:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
Sometimes you can clamp on the protruding nail with vice grip pliers and either get the claw of your hammer under the pliers to pull or gently twist & wiggle the nail back and forth until it comes loose (or breaks off). Generally though I use a grinder and cut the nails off and grind them flush with the floor. You have to be very careful to not touch the concrete since it will leave a mark that will show if you are staining, but then so will the nail holes.

Old 04-24-12, 06:55 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Pilot. I also had to cut a few of the nails as flush as I could. The ones that I couldn't really get flush I just tried to hammer a little deeper into the concrete so that they would be flush. Oh geez! Let me tell you. It looks like crap.

Before staining the floors, do you guys think I should try to bust up the concrete, maybe with a chisel or even a jackhammer, to take the nails out? I guess then at that point I'd repair the concrete holes with cement. Overkill? What do you think? I just wanna make sure it looks good when done and nobody later cuts their feet on my stubby concrete nails.

Old 04-24-12, 07:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 624 Votes on 577 Posts
If you are staining any patch work you do is going to show. If you want a perfect, beautiful floor the existing floor may have to be removed and new concrete poured. You could also look at doing a skim coat over the entire floor though I don't know how well those compounds accept stain or create a smooth finish. Lastly just patch the holes and call it "patina" or character.