Carpet installation questions

Old 05-12-12, 08:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Carpet installation questions

I have a 2 story home with carpet up the stairs on the entire upper level. The carpet appears to be one big piece throughout the entire thing. I would like to have it replaced but I have some questions. The carpet appears to have been installed prior to the bannisters being installed. How would carpet installers install new carpet with these installed? Sould I remove everything and get it out of their way first? I dont see how I can remove the balusters and bannister without destroying them really and im not sure how carpet installers deal with these kinds of things. Thanks for any info.

Old 05-13-12, 03:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Post pix. We can't see what you see. For the most part carpet installers work miracles around such places. I would ask them first. Removing the balustrade will present a problem once the carpet is laid.....how do you put it back together http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-13-12, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
An installer can cut the carpet next to the wood, put down tack strip and tuck the new carpet in. I've done it many times and it will not show.

Old 05-14-12, 07:47 AM
J
Name:  IMG00232-20120513-2109.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  25.6 KBName:  IMG00231-20120513-2108.jpg
Views: 4353
Size:  31.7 KB

Here are the balusters on and through the carpet. I just wasnt sure if the installers would need this stuff removed.

Old 05-14-12, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would be surprised if the carpet in under the picketts on the steps. I have never seen that done and have been in the business 40 years. But if it is, they can still be cut around.

Old 05-19-12, 07:24 PM
G
Unhappy Carpet staples

I had a basement flood so the disaster company replaced the pad but when they put our carpet back in, it seems to be short about 1/2 inch to some of the walls.
I told them we need them to come back and stretch it again and he said he would, but now I noticed indentations about every 6 inches along one of the perimeters. I pulled out a couple of staples. Should he have used staples? He did use the tack
strips so I don't know why he also put in staples. It dimples the carpet. Can they be pulled out? I tried to fluff the carpet over them which helped a little. What do you think about this kind of install? I am getting worried.

Old 05-19-12, 07:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Carpet should never be stapled to the tack strip. They can be pulled but be careful. On some carpets you can cause a lot of damage. This installer did not know what he was doing. Call and complain.

Old 05-19-12, 10:49 PM
G
Thank you very much, you confirmed what I suspected.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: