Carpet to Concrete Sub Floor

Old 07-28-12, 02:27 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpet to Concrete Sub Floor

[h=2]Concrete sub floor...Need help!!! [/h]
Hello~

I'm new here and looking for answers to many questions...Thanks in advance!

I am planning to take my carpet out soon and will be keeping the concrete sub floor as my new flooring.

After lifting the carpet and removing 2 sets of tiles in the hallway...To see what I'll be working with, I found that the concrete has different colors of what seems to be glue.

I actually like the look of the sub floor as it is now...With the glue or whatever it is. Would it be possible to not remove anything from it...Clean all debris and seal as is?

If not, my plan is to remove the glue and other adhesives by renting a floor maintainer with a mastic remover then using 2 different types of buffing pads. 1 course 1 fine.

Next would be to clean the concrete thoroughly, apply the stain then seal.

I am wanting the concrete to look very rusting and old so imperfections or small cracks are preferred.

I am on a very tight budget and need to get this project done asap. I have set aside a week to complete the floor.

So...My main questions are...

Can I clean and seal the sub floor with whatever is on it now? (Shown in picture)

If not...

Are my steps I have mentioned to prepare the concrete for stain and seal correct and in order?

Is there anything I may have left out?

Anything anyone can recommend that I may come across or might not be aware of before starting?

I thank you so much for your time and any help that anyone can offer.

I have attached a picture of the hallway sub floor.

Thank you so much~ Kessa

Attached Images  
Old 07-29-12, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I deleted your other duplicate post in Concrete, so we can concentrate on answering in a single line.
The glue you see is probably cut back glue, and could contain some asbestos, depending on when the original tile was installed. How old is the house?
Regardless, you will want to remove the glue residue, as any stain you put on it will not take in the area of the glue. We'll wait on the age of the house before advising on removal method. Your idea of staining and finishing the concrete is an excellent one. I have seen it done on several houses where I have remodeled basements, and the result is stunning.

Old 07-29-12, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 37 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I would use some area rugs in the high traffic areas. Walking on bare concrete all the time can cause back, leg and feet problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: