Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Rugs, Carpets and Carpeting
Reload this Page >

Anything I should watch out for or do before ripping up moldy smelling carpet!

Old 08-05-12, 08:54 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have 40 year old carpet in the house i moved into. I am renting, so knowing they didnt clean anything at all, I steamed the carpets. I used a entire bottle of hoover cleaner about a gallon for a room about 12X16 room! I didnt move his couches he had in there so less amount of space. after cleaning it a few times. (only using the gallon) I did it over a few weeks so that i would get better results. well now it smells VERY BAD! I convinced the owner to put new carpet down. I only ripped up about a foot of carpet and its sticky!!!! the carpet and padding. so not only does it smell like mildew mold and garbage! it is sticky! I am not sure about the sticky (it was put down with nails and staples so i dont think they glued the carpet. I am just wondering if i should wear a mask or something while ripping the carpet up? or just rip it and no worried about the moldy smell... I have vacuumed the carpet so that things wont go airborne as much however it smells worse when i vacuum also making me worry! thanks!

Old 08-05-12, 10:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! It is a rental.....YOU shouldn't do ANYTHING!!!! :NO NO NO: Leave it to the people the landlord hires to do this nasty stuff. I wouldn't even walk in the house without a double respirator on, if it is as bad as you describe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: