40yr old underlay has hardened and stuck to solid oak floor.

Old 08-12-12, 09:01 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry 40yr old underlay has hardened and stuck to solid oak floor.

How can I remove this old carpet underlay that is now rock hard and stuck to the really nice oak floor? I have been chipping away at it with a straight edge and a hammer but this is REALLY time consuming and frustrating! Is there a product I can use or some household solution?
Please help!

Old 08-12-12, 12:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Any way you could post pictures of your problem areas? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html It may help us to see what you see and will help us to give better advice.

Old 08-12-12, 01:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
A sharpened spud hoe will work. What you have was called bubble rubber pad. It actually had a clay base. Over the years, moisture has turned it back to clay. Been in the business 40 years and never could find any way to remove it other than scraping it.

Old 08-12-12, 05:15 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Man, I hate that. Of course I'm a naildriver, so I would do anything to save the hardwood, but if you can't, you can't, I guess.

Old 06-28-14, 02:11 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Ammonia works!

I had been chipping at what I thought was hardened rubber stuck to the floor. When I read the post about it being clay I tried the hot water and ammonia and it dissolved it. It still had to be chipped but it came off. Thank you for saving my arms.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: