How to treat side of stairs

Old 09-14-12, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to treat side of stairs

Attached is a picture of the last couple steps into basement, below a 90 degree turn landing. The stairs will be carpeted and the basement floor will be laminate. My question for you flooring guys is how would you treat the vertical side of the stairs (stringer). Attach carpet to it? Put on a thin layer of plywood over it and paint to match trim? Other options?
The carpenter put the piece of baseboard on the bottom without really asking. It can be removed of that's best.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-12, 11:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
You might want to get with your carpet installer and see what he'd want done. Usually there is either drywall and trim or a skirt board. The biggest issue I see is how will the carpet end on the sides? Usually the carpet either stops at the skirt board or has a bit of an overhang like it does on the front of the tread.

Old 09-14-12, 02:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree with Mark, there should be an overhang (bullnose) on the sides of those two steps for the carpet to roll back on. I would have faced the stringer with a nicer board before slapping trim on the bottom. That way the carpet guy could do it all without a problem.

Old 09-14-12, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, I didn't want the trim on the bottom. At least not yet. I was thinking I would cover the end with 1/4" plywood, then put on the trim. So should I create overhangs on the sides of the treads? And should I create a lip on the risers as well? I suppose I should just ask my carpet installer, but I don't have one yet.

Old 09-14-12, 02:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
To attach the overhang piece to the side of the tread you'll want to glue, drill and screw it to make sure it's solid. I don't think the edge of the riser gets built out any but it's been so long since I've seen carpeted steps - I can't remember

Old 09-14-12, 04:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yeah, add a sturdy bullnose lip on the side of the tread and leave the riser as is. Go ahead and put on your 1/4" to pretty it up. Of course you'll have to move the molding or drop it perfectly on top of the molding (easier), glue it and tack it in with narrow crown staples.