Black marks on carpet alongside baseboard?

Old 02-23-13, 09:59 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Black marks on carpet alongside baseboard?

I've noticed these black marks (almost like stripes) alongside the baseboard in many of the bedrooms upstairs. It's only on the edges and only upstairs. Someone suggested it was due to airflow...air pulled up through the opening under the baseboards and behind the walls. Is this true?

If yes, then how can I prevent this from happening with future carpets?

And is there any way to get the stains out of the carpet? All the professionals who have been here had no success. Thanks!

Attachment 9547

Attached Images  
Old 02-23-13, 10:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,400 Votes on 1,297 Posts
Do you have an oil fired hot air furnace for heat ?

Old 02-23-13, 10:11 AM
E
It's gas forced hot air heat.

Old 02-23-13, 11:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 13 Posts
You have a gap under your walls. The carpet is acting like a filter for dust. Have seen it many times. It probably won't come out of the carpet.

Old 02-23-13, 12:03 PM
E
If it won't come out do I need to seal the wall before replacing it? And how do I do this!

Old 02-23-13, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you burn candles? They put off a lot of soot that you don't see.

Old 02-23-13, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,400 Votes on 1,297 Posts
Probably a bead of silicone or latex based sealant, like Phenoseal, between the floor and the molding. This can be a tough area to seal as the wood floor underneath the carpet shrinks and expands.

You could also use that spray foam but that would require the temporary removal of the shoe molding at the floor.

Old 02-23-13, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 144 Votes on 112 Posts
Our baseboard molding looks like yours, except we have a small, quarter round molding at the base of the flat part and on the floor. You could add that which would close the gap (I think anyways). The carpet won't be flush against the wall anymore, but doesn't look bad IMO.
Only, it'll be a little bit of work adding the molding. However, it may solve your problem and only a suggestion.

Old 02-23-13, 01:42 PM
C
Curious if this is along outside walls only, could be cool enough in that area for condensation to be absorbed by the carpet allowing mildew to grow. It wouldn't have to feel wet to the touch for this to occur. What is the relative humidity percent in your home?

Old 02-23-13, 02:14 PM
E
It's mostly on the interior walls and I have never noticed it wet. And no, I don't burn any candles. Oddly, the same carpets downstairs don't have the marks. We do have dual zone heating so the upstairs has it's own unit in the attic.

I wouldn't mind it if I could get the marks out because the carpets are in good shape other than alongside the walls. Sealing the wall doesn't sound so easy, considering the need for expansion/contraction.

Old 06-04-13, 06:26 AM
E
I have shown it to many pro cleaners and they all say it won't come out. I even asked about dying the color over the stains and was told that couldn't be done, either.

Old 06-07-13, 05:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 64 Votes on 53 Posts
Has anyone actually tried any cleaning products, either traditional or exotic? I think I would be inclined to pick a spot that's not too visible and try treating a very small piece with anything I could come up with. Nothing to lose, just go very small in the test spot.

Interesting stain removal procedure here, no idea how well it actually works or would help:

CARPET STAIN CLEANING TIP - YouTube

What do you carpet guys say?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: