Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Rugs, Carpets and Carpeting
Reload this Page >

I am trying to cut down noise by just laying down carpet and foam, is it enough?

I am trying to cut down noise by just laying down carpet and foam, is it enough?

Old 02-24-13, 04:59 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question I am trying to cut down noise by just laying down carpet and foam, is it enough?

Hello Everyone, Got a lot of help with my first post over at plumbing, you guys are great, so I thought I may ask another question.
My room is just about exactly 12' by 28' or so, but I got some ins and outs, I am thinking of just buying those cut-to-size carpet from home depot and some of those nike padding they promote, and just simply lay it down in one piece, and will use two sided carpet tape to secure the edges.

This is not a permanent solution, probably for 1-2 yrs til we move.
Currently it is all hard wood, but I need to cut down the noise.

I am planning to go and buy these tomorrow so any suggestion is appreciated if you can make a few tonight.
Thanks in advance, and what a great place with lots of info!

Old 02-24-13, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 65 Votes on 60 Posts
What you propose could only help but I think you really need to tell us "the rest of the story".
As in what type of building are you in, what type of "noise" do you want to reduce, yours or theirs?

A call to the landlord could be more effective than carpet if the problem is a noisy neighbor.

Old 02-24-13, 06:55 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Greg,
Thanks! I am the landlord, basically it is a 4 story building and I live on 4th them on 3rd.
They stated that they hear too much of our walking noise and stuff my son rolls on the floor, simply day-to-day noises with addition of 2yr old active kid running around time to time.
I got all wood floors and some area rugs. We want to reduce noise to their unit from ours. It is normal noise from daily activity and there is nothing going on at odd hours, probably noise is there from 8am to 9pm, plus someone walking around with slippers, that's pretty much all.
Yes they are picky but I also lived under and above noisy neighbors and I was a renter with nothing I could do, so I just want to see if my 3rd floor tenant can be made happy with this setup or if I am wasting time & money? I assume normal carpet + 7/16" Nike padding would work, and I am only worried about the ends of the carpet since I will not be pushing them down into moldings or anything else, and one end will simply end few inches from kitchen area.

Old 02-25-13, 05:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Yes, carpet will help. Will it be enough? I don't have the ability to answer that for you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: