Curry's square paradox

Old 03-03-13, 12:01 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Curry's square paradox

I want to inexpensively carpet a 8'-8" x 11'-4" room. Originally I wanted to use carpet tiles. I found something I really liked but tiles turned out to be expensive and not within my budget. And then these weren't peal 'n stick and required laying adhesive making them less appealing. The glue added to the cost as well. Even roll goods of the same style was too much.

I went to the local home improvement center just to return an item but thought I'd go thru the carpet section to see what might be there. There in the very last corner all the way in the back I found an area rug that was almost identical to what I had found and wanted originally in carpet tiles for $300 to $400 cheaper. Problem is the carpet is 8'-0" x 12'-0" which is 8" longer and 8" narrower than the room.

My thinking is to cut 8" off the length and rotate it 90 degrees to the pile and attach along the edge. This basically leaves an 8" x 40" hole along the edge (see attached). Thinking still further with stretching and maybe adding 1/2" quarter round trim along the baseboard I can cut the 8" strip into two 4" strips and this would make the carpet fit the existing floor area.

This is my first experience stretching carpet and I know I would be cutting things really, really tight but I think I can pull it off. My concern is the seam and stretching. I'm not too confident about the strength of using iron-on seam tape. Will it survive stretching? I have considered sewing but that may be quite a chore but only 11 feet long.

I'm planning to remove the area rug's hem and put them together to seam hoping the manufactures edge will be straighter than what I can cut and already sealed.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Justin

The title of my post is in reference to an optical illusion paradox where a 2 dimensional object can be cut in such a manner as to make it appear that a missing piece can be filled in using the same dimensions.
Triangle Puzzle

Attached Images  
Old 03-03-13, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
When you 1/4 turn the carpet, it will look like a different color. Also, I don't think you will have enough carpet.

Old 03-03-13, 05:20 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
98.12 sf is absolute. You're going to try and put 96 sf in that space

Old 03-03-13, 08:36 PM
O
chandler
98.12 sf is absolute. You're going to try and put 96 sf in that space
I don't see any difficulty fitting 96 sf into 98.12 sf. The difficulty is making 96 sf appear to cover 98.12 sf. I did title this post Curr'y square paradox (see the "Triangle Puzzle" link at the very bottom of my original post).

sam floor
When you 1/4 turn the carpet, it will look like a different color. Also, I don't think you will have enough carpet.
I didn't think about the color but I don't mind a color difference along that edge as the room will never be well lit and there will be several pieces of furniture along that wall. I have even considered using a strip from another carpet with same background color.

As to the amount of carpet, sorry but I forgot to include that the molding will reduce the 8'-8" dimension by 2.5" making it 8'-5.5". Also a 1-1/2% stretch will reduce it down to 8'-4". I know it's a pretty darn close fit.

My real concern was stretching seamed carpet. I have absolutely no faith in hot gluing anything but I believe it would be a lot easier than stitching together. I need someone with experience to tell me how reliable a hot glued tape splice will be when stretching and suggestions on how to do it if felt reliable.

I have no experience installing carpet but will get it to fit one way or another .... and look half way decent.

Thanks for the replies so far, Justin

Last edited by orbsphere; 03-03-13 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-22-13, 04:24 PM
O
Finished the carpet install yesterday and it came out better than expected.

chandler
98.12 sf is absolute. You're going to try and put 96 sf in that space.
I had intended to stretch carpet 1% in each direction which would have allowed me to use a slightly smaller piece of carpet than the actual room size (see dimensions in previous post). As it turned out, and don't ask me how, but I actually had a small sliver of carpet left over and didn't even stretch it.

Pic "A" shows how much carpet I needed to remove from narrow end and how much area I needed to fill along the long dimension. Pic "B" shows the splice or seam. Neither pic does justice to actual appearance but it does look fine.

I removed the cloth hem only where necessary and had to trim that area of carpet off as the pile was damaged due to the tightness of the stitching.

sam floor
When you 1/4 turn the carpet, it will look like a different color.
There is a slight shade of a difference but is barely apparent only when using the flash while taking the pic.

Thanks for the help guys, Justin

BTW

orbsphere
I have absolutely no faith in hot gluing anything. I need someone with experience to tell me how reliable a hot glued tape splice will be.
I never got an answer to this question but after doing some research I decided that since gluing has replaced stitching it must be pretty reliable and appears to be so. Just wanted to add that note in case someone else comes along with the same question.

Attached Images   
Old 03-22-13, 08:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Don't ever expect to stretch carpet 1 to 1 1/2%. I know that is the standard, but having been an installer for the last 40 years, most carpets will not stretch that much.
And a properly made seam will hold up in a stretch test. The backing of the carpet will shred first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: