Difficulty in removing and reinstalling same carpet

Old 03-08-13, 12:01 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Difficulty in removing and reinstalling same carpet

I purchased a 120 year old house where new carpeting and vinyl were put over a very old plank floor. As I am tired of feeling all the soft spots under my feet from where tongues have broken, I'd like to make things feel sturdier.

A member mentioned on another post about using hardboard instead of sub-flooring for some work he did.

Actual question;
How difficult and expensive would it be to take up the carpeting, lay down hardboard/sub-floor, and put carpeting back? Four rooms, one hallway, 800 square feet.

I'll eventually do the vinyl parts as well, so a change in floor level isn't an issue. While I am concerned about needing to cut baseboards due to change in height, I'm also of a mind to tear out the plaster walls anyway, fir the studs, add insulation, and drywall. But that's a topic for another day.

Old 03-09-13, 11:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
It would be doable, but a lot of work. What are you calling hardboard? Masonite? That would be a waste of time, work and money. It woud add almost nothing.

Old 03-09-13, 12:15 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Work doesn't scare me, it's the possibility of doing all that work and looking like crap.

I am speaking of Masonite. I know that it would add almost nothing, but the twenty or so "soft" spots on my floor are at most four inches square; where (I believe) small sections of tongue and groove lost their groove. I would think that Masonite would be strong enough to be supported by the 99% very solid floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: