Carpet is buckling

Old 06-26-13, 09:41 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Carpet is buckling

We had Lowes install some carpet a few years ago and all was fine until there was a liquid spill in the house. The carpet was soaked and we ended up having to lift the carpet and the padding up to let the area dry.

Things dried out fine, but there is about 2 feet of buckled carpet after putting the carpet back down.

The buckles have been there for about 2 years now.

If I pull the carpet and look at the back of it. The white carpet backing is also buckled in the same area.

Is this a DIY project? Do I need to get new carpet if I want the buckles to go away?

Thanks

Old 06-27-13, 06:05 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
The carpet needs to be re-stretched into place. You can rent a carpet stretcher at any rental store for around $35. You use the opposite wall for leverage and have a series of long tubes that connect to an adjustable head with "gripper teeth" on it. You grab the carpet and stretch it until the ruffle smooths out and you can re-tuck the edges under the baseboards.

Old 06-27-13, 07:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Carpet could be delaminated. Carpet backings are glued to each other with latex(water soluble glue) . When it gets wet, they can separate. If they have separated, restretching won't fix it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: