Carpet Installation question

Old 07-01-13, 12:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carpet Installation question

I just had carpet installed through Home Depot. It went very well and am very satisfied with the installment. There was a lot of carpet left over which they left. I have no issue with that as I guess that is how they sell it in 12' wide rolls. But they did not leave any carpet padding. And I was charged the same amount of square footage for carpet as carpet padding.

Went to Home Depot and asked about this. They said that is industry standard and you have to ask for the carpet padding. Normally I would not even bother asking this, but I have a whole room that I could of used that carpet padding in. HD wanted to charge $1000 to carpet a 11x12' room, so I decided to do it myself.

The question is, is that industry standard to charge for excess carpet padding and take what is not used (like 200 sqft) or can I get a refund for this as I am going to need about 140 sqft of carpet padding?

Thanks for your time

Old 07-01-13, 01:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm a painter not a carpet installer but as far as I know the padding can be used on the next job that uses the same type of padding. The carpet is basically for just one job. Carpet that comes off of another roll might have slight differences but the coloring in padding doesn't matter since it gets covered up. That's why they often leave the carpet scraps but not the padding.

I don't know what the odds are of you getting a refund or maybe a discount on more padding but it never hurts to ask them.

Old 07-01-13, 01:30 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
No way do I leave a home owners property with any materials they have paid for without permission.
It's one thing If I paid for all the materials on a cost plus job, quite another if you were quoted a price for labor and materials.
One of the many reasons anyone on here that does this for a living would have warned you about having a box store install anything.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: