better to buy or rent a carpet cleaning machine?

Old 07-09-13, 08:15 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
better to buy or rent a carpet cleaning machine?

I know very little about carpet cleaners so I am just getting my feet wet on the subject. What do you think is best: buy or rent? If you answer buy maybe you can give me advice on what a good buy is. I think Wal Mart has them but am not sure. Who rents them out?

Old 07-10-13, 02:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
If you stay behind the cleaner, you won't get your feet wet . JK. If you have a high traffic situation....kids, pets, dirty feet, then it may be better to buy a quality cleaner. If you only have the occasional need, then renting is good. You will need to look at the attributes of the cleaner prior to buying. They may range in price from under $100 to several hundred, depending on what they claim to do. Ours uses a preheater to heat the water, which is nice. Separate reservoir for the cleaner, and an easy tank to dump and fill at one time (actually two tanks in one - clean and dirty). I'd shop for a good brand and style. It is difficult for us as a forum to relegate one brand over another, in such an instance, since personal preference will possibly be different.

Old 08-03-13, 01:32 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wal Mart has them but am not sure. Who rents them out?

Every super market I have been to rents them for like $70 a day. The deal a day site woot sells them once in a while for $300. Owning means cleaning and maintaining and storing. Hiring a steam cleaning company is even more but steam clean is much more effective.

If you buy one it might mean your house is too big for your needs and you should look for a smaller place.

Old 08-04-13, 02:20 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Option three: Neither, hire a pro when you carpets need to be cleaned.

The reason for this is the homeowner quality machines lack sufficient power to remove the cleaning chemicals when you're done and that leads to dirtier carpets.

For occasional spot cleanings, I clean by hand and then extract the chemicals with a shop vac, spray with water to dilute, extract, then spray and extract again.

Our leases specify tenants must clean the carpets when they move out and the must hire it done (and provide a copy of the receipt); they cannot use a rug doctor or bissell.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: