Carpet guys destroyed my home

Old 08-20-13, 06:10 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet guys destroyed my home

I decided to paint my condo before the carpet arrived. The carpet guys damaged my walls in around 30 different spots. I only have a small condo. Many are several feet from the ground. I just painted so I can fix all of it but one spot... So they left a huge gash in the bedroom wall, hid it behind a nightstand. They filled it with caulk, painted it (not even close to a match), and GOT PAINT ON MY BRAND NEW CARPET. I have called several times but they won't call me back. What can I do? btw it is ****************

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-20-13 at 06:29 PM. Reason: No company names allowed or bashing.... Removed company name...
Old 08-20-13, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 77 Votes on 69 Posts
Cant really bash the company here, but I would say sign a complaint with the BBB... They often resolve stuff like that... That should be your first start...

Next would be to make sure its all documented with pics and take legal action in small clains court... If you get a lawyer or not its up to you, but often their costs are more then the award you may win....

Old 08-20-13, 06:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's a local carpet shop , why not take some pics of the wall & carpet with your paperwork and stop by?

Old 08-20-13, 09:27 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
We recently had new carpeting installed and several rooms painted. Since some of the ceilings are quite high and I am no longer a kid, we contracted out both jobs.

We asked the painter if the carpet or paint should come first. The painter said to have the carpet laid and then he would paint. His reason was just what you ran into. Painter said that we would be calling him back to touch up after the carpet installers left if he painted first.

Too late for you but maybe this will save the next guy some grief.

I would definitely call the contractor back and see how he wants to rectify the situation. If he gets hard nosed then go to the BBB.

Old 08-21-13, 04:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 594 Posts
Generally products like 'goof off' or 'oops' will dissolve and remove dried latex paint..... but it shouldn't be your responsibility to clean up their mess! While removing the dried latex paint shouldn't damage the carpet, you don't need to take on that responsibility! I would keep after them until they rectify the situation, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. I assume you've already paid them in full

I've painted both before and after carpet installation and don't really have a preference - unless the trip back to touch up would be a big inconvenience. The gash in the wall should not have been filled with caulking, the repair will always show! Spackling or joint compound is the correct filler to be used and then it should be sanded, primed and then painted.

Old 08-21-13, 05:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
There is no excuse for what they did. I have installed since 1973 and the only problem I have had is when someone paints over varnish or high gloss enamel without sanding it first. Then the paint will just fall off. Do these guys work for a company or store or are they independent? If they are independent, not much you can do. If they work for someone else, take pictures and take them to their boss.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: