Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Rugs, Carpets and Carpeting
Reload this Page >

Carpet to Tile Threshold - Missing and tile/carpet already installed

Old 09-04-13, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Looking for some expert opinion, or just an opinion if you don't consider yourself an expert

I purchased a house and the prev owner had carpet installed in the house, and there is tile in the foyer - at this transition, instead of putting a typical metal or other transition, the carpet and tile simply butt up to each other (is that the right usage of butt?). It's not bad, since the heights match, etc. however the edge of the tile is somewhat sharp, and it can hurt barefeet, etc.

Is there anyway to install a standard threshold there since the tile is installed already? or is there an alternative piece or transition I can put in there to alleviate my problem? I won't be able to get a standard transition piece 'under' the tile...not sure what to do here.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-13, 04:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The best way to install flooring is "hard" to "soft", meaning tile first, hardwood, then carpet. It is easier to bend and form and cut the softer materials to match up to the harder surfaces. Generally, carpet layers will roll their carpet at places where it meets tile to give it a little cushion, or use metal transitions on the carpet. It looks cleaner to have nothing between the two, BUT, I see your point with the sharp edges of tile.
Could you post a couple of pictures of your area so we can see what you see. We may be able to come up with a reasonable solution that will not detract from the transition. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-05-13, 04:48 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I have used a Dremel oscillating tool with a flat grout saw blade on it to undercut the tile, remove a strip of mortar and then insert a Schluter strip in a fresh mortar bed to finish the edge of the tile. Then I blend in the grout. Will look the most finished of all transition strips, soften the edge on your tootsies and prevent chipping of the edge of the tile from constant use.

Old 09-05-13, 09:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Technically, the proper way to transition between carpet and tile is a track metal with rubber transition strip. But it looks like crap. Many installers, including me, put tack strip a 1/4" from the tile and tuck the carpet in, if a schluter strip wasn't put in when the tile was laid. We don't want to be responsible for breaking the tile. The carpet will eventually wear out on the tack strip, but it usually is ready to be replaced by that time anyway.