Pricing Wall to Wall Carpeting

Old 09-12-13, 09:22 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pricing Wall to Wall Carpeting

Why do a lot of carpeting places insist you need to pick out a carpet first before they will come out and measure? They advertise that their price per square yard includes installation, so wouldn't it be just a matter of first measuring how many square yards are needed, then the customer comes in and finds a carpet that fits their budget? Is it because they aren't truly charging "per square yard" for installation, but instead "padding" the amount of alleged yards needed to pay for the difficulty of the installation? I am asking this because my personal measurements done based on internet advice were substantially less than their measurer's numbers. I can understand they need to charge more money for installing on let's say steps instead of a square room, but why then claim the charges for installation are included in the square yard? Is this a dishonest business practice or standard for the industry?

Old 09-12-13, 09:48 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Carpet has a nap which makes them unidirectional. What that means is that you need to lay adjacent pieces of carpet oriented in the same direction if you have need for a seam either inside a room or at archway/doorway transitions. Stairs are also effected by the direction of the nap. So, taking pure measurements does not exactly transcribe into square feet of carpet. The rolls of carpet are also 12 ft wide (some 15 ft) which also effects where you can put a seam and how much waste there will be. For instance, an 8'x8' room will have a 4' piece cut from it if put down without seams. That is 4' x 8' of waste (32sqft = 3 1/2 yards waste).

Old 09-12-13, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Different carpets can take different amounts. If you would pick something with a pattern it will take more and there will be more waste. An installer charges for all carpet that they must handle, so you will be charged labor for the waste. And there is no such thing as "free installation" . That is just an old selling method. I guarantee you will pay for installation, it is figured into the price. And some carpets are much more difficult to install, so the labor may be higher.
I have been in the business since 1973.

Old 09-12-13, 11:07 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I thank you for both your responses. The carpeting place doesn't advertise "free" installation, just that it is included in the square yard price (there is a lower price for just buying the carpet itself). Why not just charge for how much carpet is needed then charge an installation price based on how much work is estimated to be involved?

Old 09-12-13, 11:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Most installers charge by the yard for all material that they have to handle. Some carpets take longer to install so they charge more. Most installers are independent contractors, so they have a set price per yard. That's the way it's always been done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: