How to repair damaged tread under carpet?

Old 09-16-13, 10:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to repair damaged tread under carpet?

Hello,

Question
How can I get to a stair tread under carpet to replace/repair it without ruining/replacing the carpet?

Details
A friend has frighteningly loose and wobbly railing on her carpeted stairs. The carpet runs straight off the upstairs landing and stair treads, wrapping around a small lip and ending against the wall bellow. It is very like the first picture in this post by Pilot Dane. The railing is a prefab metal type with metal posts punching through the carpet ~2" in from the edge every 4-6'. The posts are bolted to the floor/tread through a pair of flanges perpendicular to the run of the stairs.

It appears that the carpet installer simply slit the carpet so it could pass the posts and then tacked it on the other side, without gluing/taping the carpet back together.

One of the treads is cracked/split along part of it's length. If I could get the carpet up entirely I would love to replace the tread. However, assuming that that is a huge project involving new carpeting, I plan to fill the gap with wood glue and install several 6" bolts to pull it all back together. Then I will drill out the bolt holes where the bolts aren't finding proper purchase and either reinforce them with metal spike strips or fill them with wood epoxy and then re-install the railing.

Assuming those steps are appropriate, my big question is how to deal with the carpeting. I can probably make a small cut over each railing bolt to do that work; the carpet isn't in the best shape and it's already slit. However, I'm not sure how to repair the tread without taking up the carpet. Any suggestions? One thought is to tack/staple the carpet down around the tread and then slit open the carpet where the riser meets the tread. Then I could do my work and staple the carpet back in place afterwards. It just sounds like a bad idea to me.

All thoughts and advice are welcome.

Thanks,

Nick

Old 09-17-13, 06:03 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Really need a picture of the steps in question.
Carpet has to be removed to do the repair.

Old 09-17-13, 07:19 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The carpet is usually separate pieces on the tread and riser and stapled down with narrow crown staples under the nosing. The staples are buried deep in the pile and hard to find. I have found the best way to remove them is to pry them up a bit with an ice pick so you can get a purchase with a pair of pliers.

Old 09-17-13, 12:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
Toolmon, they are only separate pieces if the carpet is installed "cap and band", Many stairs are installed "waterfall" and the carpet is one piece. In fact, several steps may be covered with one piece. to give advice, we need to see a picture.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: