Is this safe or dangerous?

Old 11-30-13, 04:08 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Is this safe or dangerous?

My room/building uses floor heating (there's a water pipe system under the flooring that heats up water to heat up the room). Would it be safe to lay down floor mats or carpet/rugs or will this have some sort of fire hazard? Does laying down floor mats or carpeting in anyway BLOCK the heat from coming up through the floor into the room or will it simply heat up the mats/rug and travel through them and still heat the room?

Thanks

Old 11-30-13, 04:44 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
No way is it a fire hazard, rugs with a rubber backing may get tacky and damage the floor.

Old 11-30-13, 06:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Yes, carpets and rugs do act as insulators so that part of the floor will not provide the same btu's to heat the room. You should not install wall to wall carpeting with padding but the occasional area rug or runner is commonly done.

Most/all in floor radient heating systems operate at relatively low temperatures. Generally topping out at about 125f so there is minimal chance that it will damage anything as they are often heating wood floors. I think sunlight and pollutants (ozone) in the air have a greater chance of breaking down the rug's backing material or rubber anti slip mat. I would but a decent quality or just plan on replacing the anti slip mat yearly to replace it before it degrades into a sticky/crumbly mess.

Old 11-30-13, 06:19 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
thanks for the responses!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: