Carpet Wearing Unevenly at Vinyal Transition

Old 01-05-14, 09:05 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet Wearing Unevenly at Vinyal Transition

Is it normal for carpet to wear unevenly at a transition to vinyl flooring? I got new carpet several months ago an the carpet has sunk down within 3 inches of the vinyl flooring transition.

Clearly, this is because the installers didn't put any padding within 3 inches of the vinyl flooring transition. I think it looks awful, but I am wondering if this is normal or not. The installers are telling me it is normal and there is nothing they can do about it.

Old 01-05-14, 09:16 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Post a picture please so we can see what your seeing.

Old 01-05-14, 09:58 AM
Z
Here you go:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24141[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24142[/ATTACH]

Attached Images   
Old 01-05-14, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 20 Posts
That is just poor installation. I have been installing for 40 years. They should be ashamed of their work.
The carpet will be wrinkling soon, too.

Old 01-05-14, 12:58 PM
Z
Thanks for the input. I thought this was poor installation, but wanted a second (hopefully third, fourth, etc...) opinion.

What makes you think the carpet is going to wrinkle soon too? Not that I doubt you, but I don't understand what makes you think it is going to wrinkle. If it is going to wrinkle, how soon do you think it is going to wrinkle?

Old 01-05-14, 01:12 PM
J
That looks like a huge difference in height, was that carpet laid over hardwood flooring?
If so I would not have used that type of transition strip.
How to Install carpet transition trim between vinyl & carpet Interior Design

Old 01-05-14, 01:25 PM
Z
It was not installed over hardwood flooring. It is on the sub floor as is the vinyl flooring, so there is really no height difference.

I think the cause of the height difference is that there is no pad up to the transition. So the carpet within 3" of the transition is falling down and the carpet over the pad is staying up because it is supported by the pad.

Old 01-05-14, 01:33 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Exactly, they did not take the pad up to the trim piece and my guess is that they probably did not stretch the carpet either. I would again share the pictures with the installation company and try to get as high up in the organization as possible. Won't take them but a few minutes to correct. Remind them that, in this age of the internet, poor reviews sting pretty hard. Honestly, to stop the pad 3" short? Sam put it best, they should be ashamed of the job.

Old 01-05-14, 01:53 PM
J
Side story.
A long time ago I had bought a Marlette brand mobile home. There known in the industry for making a quality product.
A few weeks later my father in law bought a Clayton mobile. He went on and on about how much less expensive it was then mine and it was nicer.
I show up to help him move in, when you went to set anything nears the walls it tipped.
They had installed the padding about 6" away from the outside walls.
Plastic door knobs with magnetic catches, no latches.
Plastic strainers in the sinks.
Plastic sink.
W/D stuck out into the hall way 6". No dryer vent.
No drywall behind the paneling.
He never mentioned the low price again.

Old 01-05-14, 04:02 PM
Z
Good story, joecaption1! It sure is true at times that you get what you pay for. That's why I went with these guys for the carpet. I had two tile jobs done by them that went great, so I figured the carpet would too. Boy, was I wrong...

Old 01-05-14, 06:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the carpet had been properly stretched, it would go from the metal to the padded area at an angle. This lays flat and just kinda jumps up at the pad edge.

Old 01-05-14, 06:36 PM
Z
Thanks Sam Floor. I was afraid you were going to say that. This install also had major problems staying in the tack strip. They had to come back a couple times and staple the carpet down around the edges. Is this also because they didn't stretch it?

This was installed nearly 6 months ago. Would it have wrinkled by now or might it still wrinkle in the future?

Old 01-06-14, 12:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Carpet should not be stapled around the edges. It will almost certainly wrinkle.

Old 01-06-14, 01:25 PM
Z
Thanks sam floor. Too bad I've had to learn this the hard way. The good news is I paid them half before the installation and the other half is paid when I'm satisfied with the job. At this point they are going to have a really hard time satisfying me.

Old 01-06-14, 02:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would not pay them until you are happy with the job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: