Carpet finishing

Old 03-03-01, 05:45 AM
Visiting Guest
I am trying to replace a portion of carpeting in front of the sliding door in the living room with tile. I want to finish the carpet like th the edge leading into the kitchen. It is rolled/tucked! how do I do this? Is it simple or do I need to get a carpet person in to do it?

George

Old 03-03-01, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If it is ceramic tile there are 2 ways to finish the transition edge. 1 being whats called "Z-bar" It is a piece of metal that if you look down the metal from the end it it has a Z shape. You use it conjunction with tackstrip. Keeping it back away from the ceramic the thickness of the carpet. Stretch the carpet up on it and trim off the carpet just longer then the Z-bar. use the lip of the exposed Z-bar as a gauge. Because you don't want to stuff excess amount of carpet under the Z-bar. It will leave a bulge if you do. Then hammer the edge down with a rubber mallet to crimp the carpet.
the second way would be to nail tackstrip 1/4" to 3/8" back from the tile depending on the thickness of the carpet. Stretch the carpet up on the tackstrip. Then squirt some carpet seam sealer(latex) in the gully between the ceramic tile and tackstrip. then trim the carpet so it is barely over the tile, say 1/16" to 1/8". Then use a putty knife and tuck the carpet in the gully. This technique looks the best if you have a pad thicker then 3/8" under the carpet. The latex will keep the carpet from coming out of the gully and unraveling.

If you are going to thin vinyl tile, you will have to use the Z-bar method.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: